Forking FOX forks.

Tuning may not be a bad option - I've heard plenty of good things about Loco. I tried to use them for my rear shock but the wait was too long so I used J Tech, who also seem to have a good reputation.

Both are a fair bit cheaper than TFT.

With regards to a previous posters view on Fox forks, all of mine have been excellent and needed no maintenance, even when I lived in the Peaks.

They did have a bad reputation for stanchion wear on earlier models, but I think some of this was down to poor maintenance by the owners. All forks benefit from having some fork lube sprayed around the seals after cleaning etc.

As for the damping, I have always found it far superior to RS (my coil Pikes were pretty bad for packing down on successive hits, and really struggled with Stanage Edge in Sheffield). Some people love 'em, personally I'm not a fan. But it would be a boring world if we all loved the same things.

Mindmap3":olou8pcu said:
With regards to a previous posters view on Fox forks, all of mine have been excellent and needed no maintenance, even when I lived in the Peaks.

They did have a bad reputation for stanchion wear on earlier models, but I think some of this was down to poor maintenance by the owners.

Eh? ;)

suburbanreuben":2nq54pgc said:
Mindmap3":2nq54pgc said:

They did have a bad reputation for stanchion wear on earlier models, but I think some of this was down to poor maintenance by the owners.

Eh? ;)

Just reread what I wrote.....not that clear.

I did nothing other than keep mine clean, lube the seals after cleaning the bike and they were fine, no issues whatsoever. When I worked in a shop, people would bring in forks that were a few years old complaining that the stanchions were worn and it was clear that their bikes had never been washed or treated with any for of mechanical sympathy since they first bought it.

These are most likely the people who then went hell for leather slagging off Fox forks....after all if you're happy with something you don't shout it from the roof tops, however when you are unhappy you tell the whole world!

The whole stanchion wear thing got blown out of proportion - Marzocchi never get beaten with that stick despite a lot of Z150's losing their coating. I know when I was looking for forks, there were a few pairs of Pikes that were suffering too.

No product is infallible and there will always be issues.....my Pike's were a pain, but for many RS can do no wrong.

I got my Revs, which were already good, prodded and poked by TFT last year and they're now great.

That's all really!

Love my Foxy forks on my Rocky. They do need regular servicing from the proper people but they are the dogs doo daas.

Russell":31e2cb3l said:
I got my Revs, which were already good, prodded and poked by TFT last year and they're now great.

That's all really!

TFT do a cracking job; they Push tuned my old Van RC shock and it was incredible. I got it done cheap at the time because I worked in a shop. A mate had all of his Fox forks done and raved about TFT and the Push packages.

These days I'm tight (mortgage etc), hence I've used the likes of J Tech for shock servicing.

I had mine serviced by Mojo. Not cheap but they did update the internals to the latest spec and included an extra years warranty.

Have you thought about DT Swiss? I've got a set of XMM 140's and I prefer them to either the Revs or Fox I had before. Very, very plush, don't need a service every two seconds and can be self tuned to suite most riders.

The Revs I had were very smooth but I thought the action felt somehow artifical and didn't match my Fox RP23 rear shock. Might have prefered them on a HT though.

I do like Fox but my 2007 Floats just never seemed to find the right balance. Either rubbish over small stuff or dived like hell on big stuff. The 2009 36 Talas also struggled on small hits and then the stantions turned to mince.

I'm running 2009 F32RL's and other than washing them they fine, no problems so far but I only got the bike in Dec but it has done a lot of shitty n rough rides (XC not DH).
Matthew

Back