6 Speed Uniglide questions

oldgit

Retro Guru
Will a seven speed cassette fit straight on?

Or are there any other ways of keeping the six speed alive?
All is well, but I want to keep friction down tube levers and I don.t want to spread the frame.

Ta.

Hi og :) Confused buddy, "do you want/need a good 6speed screw-on block ?" Got a box full of 6 speeds if you're stuck :) Sorry if it's just a general "can a 7 speed block fit a 6 without respacing question". Later buddy, yours Laz.

Your mind reading powers are failing you ;)

I should have said that I have Uniglide 6 speed which are as rare as. 7 speed Uniglide is just about still available.

Options are I guess; buy a 7 speed freehub body. Or butcher later 8/9 speed cassettes for their rings, but use the old 6 speed spacers?

If you are on about a 6 speed uniglide cassette as opposed to the freewheel I had this problem. The 7 speed cassette would not fit. After posting here a loke in Finland posted with NOS 6 speed cassette. I bought that, maybe I got luckly but they are out there.

oldgit":37wswdz1 said:
Your mind reading powers are failing you ;)

I should have said that I have Uniglide 6 speed which are as rare as. 7 speed Uniglide is just about still available.

Options are I guess; buy a 7 speed freehub body. Or butcher later 8/9 speed cassettes for their rings, but use the old 6 speed spacers?
I think the indexing spacing is different on a 7-speed. I tend to keep my eye on eBay because uniglides do come up from time to time. But it seems to be the other way is to take a 7-speed apart and use the spacers out the 6-speed

OK OG :) "I've still got a box of Shimano 6 speeds like what you describe, but Shimano is not my area so can't be sure if they are what you're on about ?" The box came with a bike I bought and all the bits hark from the same era ? Late 1980's - eraly 90's ?. Anyways I found them strange because they were so lightly stacked ie: 6 speed but all loose fitting. I expected them to be solid blocks not cassette type.

I'll post pics & if they are what you're talking about PM me with your address & you can have them :) Later OG, Laz.

uniglide

I've got a uniglide cassette and chain - it's used but in good serviceable condition. Let me know if its any use!

Those 7 speed cassettes are the ones that do not fit the 6 speed free bub body.

Good 6 speed ones are still about.

I often come across this problem. One way to prolong the life of the six speed is to rotate the cogs around i.e slide it off the body and slide it back on facing the other way (does that make sense!?).

Alternatively what I tend to favour is switching the 6 speed uniglide body for a 7 speed hyperglide which really opens up your options for cassettes. Ultimately it allows you to use brand new 7, 8, 9 or 10 speed cassettes respaced like so: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sette+sram

Just re-read that myself and if you're using friction then I'd replace the old uniglide body with a 7 speed Hyperglide (remove the axle and use a 10mm allen key to remove the body refitting is simply a reversal of that) and slip on a 9 speed cassette with one of the cogs removed so you'd have an 8 speed friction set up without having to spread the frame or replace your wheels...

Latest posts

Back