Isn't it annoying when...

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
...You express an interest in a bike for well over a week and you communicate with the seller about it, you make an offer to buy it. You leave your offer on the table. You then up your offer to the seller's asking price, pending a few more pictures. The seller responds by saying that he will get some pictures to me, but the seller doesn't send any pictures and then when you ask him the following day you get a reply to say that he's since accepted another offer for the asking price (albeit plus postage).

Now, I know that my final offer was INCLUDING postage (and so slightly less) - however I'm a little frustrated that the seller didn't at least contact me to say that he'd received another offer from someone who was willing to pay for postage, as I'd have done the same and matched it. I thought that perhaps the fact that I'd been communicating with him for over a week about it, and had upped my offer to his asking price might at least make me deserving of some kind of first refusal..?

I'm sure I'm just ranting about nothing, but I just wanted to vent!

I won't name the seller as it's a bit petty given the fact that no money has changed hands. Still frustrates me though!!

Personally, I'd say name and shame. Why should sOmeone be allowed to behave like that, it's rude and I wouldn't like to waste my time doing potential business with them.

I'm not going to say who it was, as it could just be that they have a different interpretation to the buying/selling procedures as some others (myself included). I'm just a bit annoyed because, if the roles were reversed, I'd have contacted the buyer to let them know exactly what was going on.

I'm extra whingey today too as I feel like a sack of poo.. :cry: !!

I agree, i get this a lot. Mostly on pinkbike.
Ad goes up> ask a question> few days later get a response saying its sold (or no response at all - to which i ALWAYS mail until i get a response).

I too find it rude, some people just go where the money is and thats fine but certainly nto when you have been showing interested AND offering for that long.

I'd be afraid to say I'd had an other offer as it can look like your just trying to get more money out of the potential buyer.

If you've offered some thing for a price so the first to show up with the asking price gets it in my opinion, to then enter a bidding war with another buyer would be wrong.

Ah well, you win some you lose some I guess :roll:

He has apologised and has said that if the deal with the other guy falls through, then he'll let me know.

I won't be offering him his asking price if/when he does, I can assure you!

Problem is you are VS buyers who don't ask questions, I'm sure a lot of sellers are bored stiff by our questions and someone like my brother in law just buys, no messing, one crappy picture and his mind is made up with payment sent.
I have the PB thing a lot, I've had two this week where they don't respond and it sells a few days later. I wasn't even making an offer!

Russell":95onxrhh said:
... not really, its just old bike bits.

Yes, but when I make an offer to buy said "old bike bits" for the seller's asking price, and they accept, then sell to someone else, it kind of grates.

Latest posts

Back