Lentons

jm

Senior Retro Guru
In the dark of a basement these seemed a good idea.His and hers from 54.It now seems a lot of work.
7499790190_32de101e61_b.jpg

A lot of work but worth it, a firend in the 70s had one of these - lovely bike, well made and real feel of quality about it.

Blimey, I do love Lentons. The "sporty but practical" thinking behind them really appeals to me and the execution is spot on. I would put money on a picture of a Lentno having been on the wall when Cooper were putting together this:

http://www.cooperbikes.com/bikes/3/Reims

Yours should look great once its clean up and I bet even a wash and some new bar tape would have it looking presentable. Do keep the pctures coming... :D

Nice to see another Raleigh Lenton, jm :D

Me and my mate regularly go out and on the odd occasion brings his old Lenton out. Taken a few weeks on The Fledborough Flyover cycle path near Lincoln.

I will delete these pic's if you like JM ! Not meaning to hijack your thread but adding to it.

FledboroughLincolnrun050.jpg

FledboroughLincolnrun002.jpg

AKA...Ian Raleigh proudly leaning on the Lenton.

Looking at jm's Lenton and a thought popped into my head!

I wonder if there will be any 'modern' bikes still be running after 45 years of use :shock:

Ian Raleigh":yt77qp54 said:

I wonder if there will be any 'modern' bikes still be running after 45 years of use :shock:

I have a 1958 Carlton Constellation still very much in the land of the living!

Ian Raleigh":2xxqf1a8 said:

Are we talking carbon/alloy framed jobbies?...how modern is modern? my 94 Carrera Krakatoa shows no signs of death and thats fairly modern, though it is on it's second set of wheels, 3 rd chain, second casette/ chainset ...however BB and headset are still perfectly smooth!
I don't think I'd honestly be happy riding 45 year old carbon though especially the first generation stuff!

chambo34":2mjsgoup said:
Ian Raleigh":2mjsgoup said:

Are we talking carbon/alloy framed jobbies?...how modern is modern? my 94 Carrera Krakatoa shows no signs of death and thats fairly modern, though it is on it's second set of wheels, 3 rd chain, second casette/ chainset ...however BB and headset are still perfectly smooth!
I don't think I'd honestly be happy riding 45 year old carbon though especially the first generation stuff!

chambo34":24fxeqhq said:
Are we talking carbon/alloy framed jobbies?...how modern is modern? !

'Todays' bikes :oops: like Colnago/Bianchi which are no-longer made in Italy but China.

I looked at a seven month old expensive 'modern' bike and the teeth on the chainwheels looked like shark teeth.

Back