Sticking Hope Mono 6ti caliper pistons

A_Venables

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As the title, Whats the easiest way to get the pistons free if they are stuck, most of them work, its just 2 of the pistons that are stuck. Ive got a bleed kit on the way.

Pop them out one by one and clean/relube (or replace) the seal and/or piston and then pop it back in.

Use dot fluid for lube.

pope them out one by one using an air line or the brake lever - use a cable tie round the 3 pistons you don't want to pop out.

The way i do it is to take the hose from the master cylinder and that fits in my track pump.
And i use adjustable spanner to keep the pistons in but i can see they sometimes wouldnt fit.
Cable ties are a good idea.

Damn cable ties, that is a good idea! I've been messing with spanners, pencils, fingers, anything I can jam in the to be honest!

Just take em out, clean em and it'll be ok. They don't move very far in normal use and once the dirt gets caked up they resist moving back.

If you want to half try first you can eject the piston almost to the point of removal, clean the edges and push it back in. Works for me on some semi sticky ones if I'm feeling lazy.

just fixed the same problem on some hayes mags, pump the pistons out as far as they will go without popping them out, the normal way would be to use brake fluid as a lube for the seals but I used silicone spray, worked them in and out a few times and now there perfect,
make sure you dont get any silicone contamination on anything but the seals in the pistons as you will have to buy new pads if you do :shock:
Lee.

Gona try this soon as Ive got all my trick multicoloured bore caps, etc and as Im in the plumbing trade I can get the silicon spray easy enough! Thanks for the info!

Pump them out by holding the others in place so theyre the only ones that can move
Clean the sides with some meths then apply a little silicon grease.Push them back then repeat the process a couple of times and see if theyve improved :?
Failing that you could try to put some heat through them with some long descents with them 1/2 on.Heat does help sticky things.And it might be just that if youre observing them off the bike :? When youve got full pressure on the lever and the caliper is warm the other pistons might just come back to life.

Talking of trick bore caps and things ;)

Attachments

• Csx-qno3_original (Large).jpg
    Csx-qno3_original (Large).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 393
Back