1999 Santa Cruz Chameleon...major update. Rebuild Nr 2 (p4)

Yep, mine is that colour but slightly bigger frame (is that a small one?).

Ace frames. Swear if my original hadn't been nicked I'd still have it. Polished frame, the first set of 5" Z1s in the UK, Hope front hub and C2 brake, XT and LX bits and the comfiest Bontrager seat I've ever had the pleasure to sit on!

DaveyBoyWonder":2xwclfr4 said:

Ace frames. Swear if my original hadn't been nicked I'd still have it. Polished frame, the first set of 5" Z1s in the UK, Hope front hub and C2 brake, XT and LX bits and the comfiest Bontrager seat I've ever had the pleasure to sit on!

It's a small, same as the one I'm building no. They are teeny too.

Great bikes though. That blue is one of my favourite colours for a bime ever.

DaveyBoyWonder":z3nzgn6f said:

It's a small, same as the one I'm building no. They are teeny too.

Great bikes though. That blue is one of my favourite colours for a bime ever.

Didn't Paul Smith have a blue or black one with Manitous? I remember he had a yellow Heckler.

I'd love a Chameleon. What's the TT size on the small and medium? Anyone know?

Emoco":22cfo3tx said:
Didn't Paul Smith have a blue or black one with Manitous? I remember he had a yellow Heckler.

I'd love a Chameleon. What's the TT size on the small and medium? Anyone know?

You know what, I think you're right. I think it may have been Jamie Hibbard who had the yellow one...I know someone did.

If I remember when I measured my blue mark I it was 21 and a bit top tube, so titchy. Even as a jump bike I had to run a long (75mm) stem to feel comfortable.

Jamie Hibbard had a yellow Turner DH frame.

I remember it from a few articles, especially one where he learns to bunny hop with Steve Geall and borrows his tiny baby blue HT Giant.

Someone from MBUK had a yellow one! I remember seeing it in loads of articles....back when I used to read every mountain bike mag available.

I fitted the green forks last night so will post some pic later. I think it looks really good...hopefully the cranks will turn up soon. All I need to sort now are some nicer skewers, seat clamp, bash ring and 5 bolt mini rotor. Then it'll be good to go.

Few pics of the bike with forks, wheels and tyres fitted.

I also had a fiddle with some of the editing tools on Photo Bucket.

DSC03732.jpg

DSC03730.jpg

DSC03734.jpg

DSC03735.jpg

DSC03736.jpg

DSC03737.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with it so far. You'll have to excuse the massive front tyre - it was all I had lying around the garage. I have a 2.3 Conti Gravity on order to match the rear tyre. The X-Lite rims give tyres a HUGE profile.

The steerer tube and seat post need cutting down too, which I'll do this weekend. I'll also fit the XT rear mech I have.

Deus cranks arrived today - pretty chuffed with them given how much I paid for them. Will give them a good clean and a polish, fit and take some more pics.

All I'm waiting for now is the brakes, a bash ring and some hoses / cables.

Oh and the decals. Hopefully Gil M will get back to me soom.

Back