1989 Orange Formula - pic update

Wow. I watched this unfold on the for sale thread and am glad to see it's all go now.

Good luck and for what it's worth, do it once and do it properly. If a new tube can be replaced at a cost you can afford and justify - do it.

Mahoney1978":34f48pqe said:
Good luck and for what it's worth, do it once and do it properly. If a new tube can be replaced at a cost you can afford and justify - do it.

I second that.

If you can afford to get it replaced with identical/better tubing then its got to be worth it. Hopefully it won't change any of the characteristics of the bike and as somebody said you won't see it when its repainted.

Also, to Neils point, its pretty much the same as changing components to NOS parts...to me!

nevadasmith":p4h0h0xy said:
sinnerman":p4h0h0xy said:
I think thats stupidly cheap in that case, suppliy and fit for 100 quid. :shock:

Sorting the cluster is extra I think, not much though.

To be fair to kevin, i cant understand how he can earn a living at the prices mentioned.

when i looked at the bike when for sale, in my mind i had budgeted for at least £500 for repairs and paintwork.

I would certainly be happy if i could get this whole bike refinished and usable for a grand or a little under. I think this would be a very good buy imho.

Those frames look absolutely stunning, but I'm a bit confused.

According the graphic shacks web site, they are not currently spraying frames, and that page has been up for several months.

EDIT: Ooops, bit of a glitch there, this was a reply to a completely different thread. I wonder how it ended up here?

NeilM":3ojheisk said:
Those frames look absolutely stunning, but I'm a bit confused.

According the graphic shacks web site, they are not currently spraying frames, and that page has been up for several months.

??!

I am a bit stuck on the stem/bars to use.

I have a NOS XT head set and seat post that will do nicely I'll keep a look out for a white San Marco saddle.

But the bars/stem.....

I have a Orange stem from late 89 ish but I am thinking that this bike pre-dates that so might be better with something european like 3TTT bars and stem?

Any thoughts?

Plain black Prestige handlebar. Stem... tioga style without roller with correct Orange decal.

Have you thought about tyres etc...?

sinnerman":2rja1ar3 said:

Yes:

Ground Control
or
Fisher FatTrax
or
Panaracer TIMBUK II

Nice m730 Group set. NOS MA40 rims :cool:

Sounds like it's coming together nicely mate, I'm pretty excited for you :)

nevadasmith":qnnutybz said:
sinnerman":qnnutybz said:

Yes:

Ground Control
or
Fisher FatTrax
or
Panaracer TIMBUK II

Nice m730 Group set. NOS MA40 rims :cool:

cool, this is going to be good.

Im now also short of tyres, and am looking for a smoke and dart for a build as well as a nos set of Conti baja supercross, if anyone can help...?

Did the video probe inspection today.

Not good. Corrosion is bad - especially in the lower inch or two.

Good news I can buy a Prestige seat tube so it's getting a new one :D

We have found the source of the corrosion and the cracked seat clamp - some numpty has inserted a 26.8mm seatpost into a 27.2mm seat tube and wound it up until it held. This has distorted the seat tube collar and allowed a way in for the water - the distortion is another good reason to replace the seat tube.

Less good news on the paint - not available anymore :( Carl I'll drop you a PM re: the stuff that you have or Kevin is going to experiment with mixing.

So that's it now for 3 months.... Kevin is going to e-mail me pics of progress so I'll post them as I get them - roll on October!

Attachments

• 1207050001.jpg
    1207050001.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 853
  • 1207050003.jpg
    1207050003.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 854
  • 1207050005.jpg
    1207050005.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 854
  • 1207050007.jpg
    1207050007.jpg