British Steel

sinnerman":2kp6lwq3 said:
I would love to think someone somewhere has an old unloved unused E-Stay in there shed, i think we should all keep an eye out for Overburys, Dave Lloyd and Dave Yates e-stay frames.

3 models yet to grace our retro community as yet.

What a great thought, that these bikes are sitting there, just waiting to be discovered and restored.

Stranger things have happened.

NeilM":1qd49cwl said:
sinnerman":1qd49cwl said:
I would love to think someone somewhere has an old unloved unused E-Stay in there shed, i think we should all keep an eye out for Overburys, Dave Lloyd and Dave Yates e-stay frames.

3 models yet to grace our retro community as yet.

What a great thought, that these bikes are sitting there, just waiting to be discovered and restored.

Stranger things have happened.

I ponder on it..., when i was 16 stats showed that over 2 million bikes were sold every year, (i suspect it has risen since).

It does beg the question, where do they all go...?

Is there any possibility that the respective frame builders would have any records of the e stay frames they made... Or is that to much of a long shot?!

At least we would know how many there where.

The day one turns up on an auction site will be a very special day in deed!

Giom6":xcxiycrm said:
Is there any possibility that the respective frame builders would have any records of the e stay frames they made... Or is that to much of a long shot?!

At least we would know how many there where.

The day one turns up on an auction site will be a very special day in deed!

I know that Roberts only made 12 i think. Dave Lloyd about the same, im unsure of Yates..... perhaps more...?

I have kicked my self since the day, The Duke outed the Overburys, on the ebaymarketplace thread. I only hesitated because i believed it to be the second generation frame,...........i was a fool.

Has anyone ever seen a Roberts, Yates or Lloyd e-stay for sale?

It's hard enough finding the relatively 'plentiful' bikes but finding one of twelve!

Still, a chaps got to have a dream ;)

I remember seeing that one. Did somebody on here get it?

12 is a very small amount but you would think one might pop up at sometime or other. The only thing is if somebody doesn't know what they have it can easily go under the RetroBike radar.

I will contact Yates when I have a spare minute and see if they have any info... I would hold out much hope though!

Giom6":k5j1ws1h said:
. I would hold out much hope though!

Neither would I; I contacted Debbie about my Diabolo and she could tell me almost nothing, other than the year of manufacture.

Don't forget that Dave has moved workshop at least once (possibly more) since these frames were made.

Still, can't hurt to ask, you never know, they may even know where some are.

As for flying under the radar, an Overbury's frame and forks (not an e-stay as far as I know) was bought be a RB member at the Bristol Bike Jumble a couple of months ago for peanuts, so there are rarities to be had.

Giom6":twr737vm said:
I remember seeing that one. Did somebody on here get it?

12 is a very small amount but you would think one might pop up at sometime or other. The only thing is if somebody doesn't know what they have it can easily go under the RetroBike radar.

I will contact Yates when I have a spare minute and see if they have any info... I would hold out much hope though!

I have asked but no members ever came forward to say they had bought it.. :cry:

I know of Four Roberts Stratos E-Stays. But that is all.

sinnerman":1y5db8pz said:
I have asked but no members ever came forward to say they had bought it.. :cry:

I know of Four Roberts Stratos E-Stays. But that is all.

That's quite a surprise – unless somebody is hoarding it for themselves.

Lets think positive and may be one will turn up soon... :)

Are those four on the forum? I know one is but are the others?

NeilM":1yjv7b2g said:
Giom6":1yjv7b2g said:
. I would hold out much hope though!

Neither would I; I contacted Debbie about my Diabolo and she could tell me almost nothing, other than the year of manufacture.

Don't forget that Dave has moved workshop at least once (possibly more) since these frames were made.

Still, can't hurt to ask, you never know, they may even know where some are.

As for flying under the radar, an Overbury's frame and forks (not an e-stay as far as I know) was bought be a RB member at the Bristol Bike Jumble a couple of months ago for peanuts, so there are rarities to be had.

I am in Conversation with a chap, (mainly me badgering him.. :oops: ) who tells me he has an Overburys PR 1.

He is hard work, but tells me it was a frame built under the guise of Pioneer but with tweeked geometry, and the " R " denotes this and stood for Race. it is supposedly made from Reynolds 653 tubing, fillet brazed, with very subtle differences to the model i have now, things like seat collar at the front not the back, lower B/B height, and first generation suspension geometry.... :?

Believe me when i say i feel sometimes its like chasing my tail, and banging my head against a brick wall. hes reluctant to sell, but promises pictures.

What sparked my interest was the original paint finish was a Zebra style paint, with matching forks. including suspension.

Well as you can imagine, he has my interest, but as yet i have not been able to find anyone that can enlighten me a little more, other than one person who remembers seeing two riders at the malverns in 91 possible 92, that were riding a black and white zebra print Overburys.

My Quest Continues.

Back