brooks saddle repair??

hurricanebert

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,

have done a forum seach but couldn't find anything. I'm guess this topic has been done heaps before though, but here goes.

I have an old brooks swallow?? saddle from the early 60's? and wondering if it's worth restoring and if so the best way to go about it?

It looks like it would of been tan with tin plated rivets?

It has some blue and yellow paint on it as well.

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction.. thanks

Attachments

• P1050233.JPG
    P1050233.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 735
  • P1050234.JPG
    P1050234.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 735
  • P1050235.JPG
    P1050235.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 735
Obvious answer, but not one people would necessarily think is the way to go.

Call/email Brooks themselves, they are, apparently very approachable and will be able to advise you. A friend of mine had the nose bolt snap on his (newer) Brooks. When the replacement bolt arrived neither him or his LBS could get it to fit so he spoke to Brooks who said "send it to us", he suggested he bring it in in person, which they agreed to, and he watched whilst the leather was stretched into place and the new bolt fitted.

To my eye though it looks like the leather is dried out, which would mean you would need to replace it. Once you get to that point you may as well just buy a new one (not retro, I know, but better than having a saddle collapse on you half way into a ride)

That needs a lot of Proofide!! :shock: That may soften the leather again.

douse it in lanolin it looks really dried out, but it might be salvagable if there are no huge cracks.

To my eye, that doesn't look like it needs any repairs. Get a tin of Brooks Proofide or dubbin and absolutely slather it top and bottom with a stiff shoe brush and use a toothbrush to get into the nooks and crannies underneath. It will be messy. Leave it for a few days to soak in, then repeat, maybe repeat it a third time. The leather will almost certainly supple up again.

If you want a shine, then use clear shoe polish over the top, but be aware that using shoe polish by itself does not soak in as well as Proofide or dubbin. Dubbin will shine up, but you need to leave it for at least a week to dry out before it will buff up.

I've also heard good reviews about using horse riding saddle wax, but definitely don't use oil. Oil will soften the leather too much and it'll go stretchy, which you don't want, plus it won't buff up to a shine. You'll also get an oily bum.

Can't see anything wrong with it. Needs a bit of Proofride, sure, but that's about it. Ride on it. It will be fine. They start to soften after 60 years, I've found.

There are lots of products that people swear by......but for me, brooks make proofhide for their saddles....so that's what I use!

As a previous poster wrote, rub it in with a soft cloth ( I use a terry towelling flannel) and leave it overnight...next day, do the same, then repeat until it looks nice and supple.....it will never look new, but will look good and more importantly, be really comfy on the old hoop!

Top and bottom, by the way!

Thanks guys for all the help. am in NZ so sending back to brooks isn't an option.

Will definately try the dubbin and post pics if it works if anyone wants.

Cheers

Back