Marin Muirwoods budget build

Looks like you've got a threaded headset on there (which I guess isn't original going on the age of the bike).

As mentioned - not sure about the split rings - but should have a tab washer between the upper nuts. What's your method for adjusting and setting up the headset?

Here's an image (blatantly nicked from Sheldon Brown) which shows a typical threaded headset setup......

I've got a chain-whip too if it's of any help....... :)

Attachments

• 382px-Bicycle_headset_exploded_view-en.jpg
    382px-Bicycle_headset_exploded_view-en.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,315
Rich, my daughter is six and can pretty much mend a puncture on her own so give it a few years and she can help you get it done!

Sherlylock, thanks for the pic and advice, will send you a PM shortly...

Sherlylock came round last night, with the vital chain whip, and with his help I managed to shift the cassette. Many thanks Mart, I really appreciate your generosity. So now I have this:

hub.jpg

I have simpley screwed the smallest cog back on, will this work? the bike will be mostly used on road, and the front ring will be 32t.

another problem that I had was a stuck bolt in the crank, I bought a set of screw extractors from my local cheap shop (they cost £1!), screwed the extractor in and the bolt came straight out.

So the Muirwoods is moving forward again, got a Dirt research polished stem delivered yesterday, which should be perfect, and am hoping for brakes and bars today....

Mart had a look at the headset, and thought that I need a washer between the two top nuts, so will be sticking a wanted ad up for two 1 1/8inch threaded headset washers, I need two as Mart needs one as well!

Sherlylock came round last night, with the vital chain whip, and with his help I managed to shift the cassette. Many thanks Mart, I really appreciate your generosity. So now I have this:

hub.jpg

I have simply screwed the smallest cog back on, will this work? the bike will be mostly used on road, and the front ring will be 32t.

another problem that I had was a stuck bolt in the crank, I bought a set of screw extractors from my local cheap shop (they cost £1!), screwed the extractor in and the bolt came straight out.

So the Muirwoods is moving forward again, got a Dirt research polished stem delivered yesterday, which should be perfect, and am hoping for brakes and bars today....

Mart had a look at the headset, and thought that I need a washer between the two top nuts, so will be sticking a wanted ad up for two 1 1/8inch threaded headset washers, I need two as Mart needs one as well!

Simon, I think you might have some alignment problems with the small ring in that position and the chain tensioner, but if it works then I am going to steal your idea. The headset needs a lugged washer between the headset nut and locknut. The lug fits in the groove in the fork to stop the washer and hence the headset nut rotating. It's coming on, eager to see it finished.

No worries matey....nice to meet up with another retrobiker.

How is that cog being held in place (presumably the lockring is clamping it against the end of the freewheel?)

Personally I'd get some spacers/singlespeed sprocket on there - at least that will give you options when it comes to setting up your chainline. Presumably you'll need a chain tensioner too?

http://velosolo.co.uk/shopsingle.html

Just picked up a local Raleigh frame (with horizontal dropouts) for my adventures into the singlespeed world ;)

I nearly picked the same frame myself, until I realised that I would need surgery to make it fit!

You are certainly tall enough and I am glad you are getting in to single speed, at least I will be able to keep up with you when we head out for that ride :D

A few more parts turned up yesterday, some nice Marin Alloy handlebars, and some Tektro brakes and dia compe levers. I couldn't resist throwing the whole thing together with anything else I could find in the cupboard:

marinc.jpg

The saddle and tyres will change as soon as funds allow, you may also notice that the brakes need some cables and a chain would be a good idea. After further research I am still planning on the Haro twin rails...

I have fitted the middle ring from my crank (32T) and had a look at the alignment with a rusty chain:

chain.jpg

As far as I can tell alignment is fine from the top, am planning on trying an old derallieur to get the bike going and then playing around with spacers and tensioners later on. I have an 80's Suntour VX that should do nicely.

Question time...

As the cassette was originally 7 speed do I need a 7 speed chain to run this arrangement?

I can't seem to fit both shims in to the stem for the bars, they are slightly too big. Any ideas?

Back