1989 Orange Formula - pic update

Thanks for the thoughts chaps.

We'll get some pictures of the internals and see what it looks like - my worry is that the drain hole in the seat tube was blocked and it has had standing water in there for a while, nice little corrosion cell and the tube is thinned fully circ :(

I asked Kevin for advice - he was very honest and said it was not bad enough to advise a replacement tube, but that you can't guarantee it won't fail in use.

Replacement will be an easier decision with a prestige tube option - but that could involve buying a whole tube set.......

I'm probably guessing this wil be a very occasional rider than a daily one..almost a garage queen if you will

weighing up Kevins advice vs cost vs use I would take his advice and repair the genuine frame rather than cut and chop..obviosuly once blown through using framesaver would be beneficial

on the cost issue

did you approach orange asking wether they wanted to use this when finished for promos and if so are they willing to help with the cost?

sylus":1xba9ls5 said:
I'm probably guessing this wil be a very occasional rider than a daily one..almost a garage queen if you will

weighing up Kevins advice vs cost vs use I would take his advice and repair the genuine frame rather than cut and chop..obviosuly once blown through using framesaver would be beneficial

on the cost issue

did you approach orange asking wether they wanted to use this when finished for promos and if so are they willing to help with the cost?

Hi Sylus, cost isn't a problem (well it is but in relative terms......:LOL:) - it's abut £100 for a replacement tube - maybe more for prestige - so taking into account the cost of fill/patch £25 - £50 then replacement isn't proportionally too expensive, around 10% of what the frame will cost in total.

Kevin didn't advise either way BTW.

Does the seat mast join have issues too...., or is that ok...?

nevadasmith":4jzhl97c said:
sylus":4jzhl97c said:

on the cost issue

Hi Sylus, cost isn't a problem (well it is but in relative terms......:LOL:) - it's abut £100 for a replacement tube - maybe more for prestige - so taking into account the cost of fill/patch £25 - £50 then replacement isn't proportionally too expensive, around 10% of what the frame will cost in total.

Kevin didn't advise either way BTW.

Is the £100 just for the tube, then the labour charge on top to fit ?

sinnerman":394ax14m said:

That has issues - needs weld material removing and re-brazing. (looks like someone hit it with a stick/MIG weld without cleaning it, copper from residual braze in the weld then CRACK :roll:

sinnerman":394ax14m said:

That is for a Reynolds 751 tube inc work, Prestige £?

nevadasmith":3u8idb04 said:
sinnerman":3u8idb04 said:

That has issues - needs weld material removing and re-brazing. (looks like someone hit it with a stick/MIG weld without cleaning it, copper from residual braze in the weld then CRACK :roll:

sinnerman":3u8idb04 said:

That is for a Reynolds 751 tube inc work, Prestige £?

I think thats stupidly cheap in that case, suppliy and fit for 100 quid. :shock:

sinnerman":7bugqamj said:
I think thats stupidly cheap in that case, suppliy and fit for 100 quid. :shock:

Sorting the cluster is extra I think, not much though.

if you can afford it and will think..I'm glad I did that more than think..thats a new bit on an old bike..then I would go for the new bit

It will retain the essence of the bike and keep it going for some time

I think the arty farty people call it sympathetic restoration

It is a tough nut to crack, especially when the new tube option is so cheap.

I think it boils down to what you will be happy with, after all, once the paint is on, no one will know whether the tube is new or repaired.

To put it another way, will you be using all the current running gear? Or will you be replacing worn out parts with restored or NOS?

Same difference.

Back