kona manomano

painter09

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
purchased this last week 1998 manomano and allready got some nice new in the box 2002 marzocchi triple boxers to fit on it but first its being stripped and off to powder coaters for a new colour scheme.

Attachments

• konaaaaaaaaaaaa 002.JPG
    konaaaaaaaaaaaa 002.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 2,246
i thought exactly the same thing about the stem.... so its gone and been replaced with a 110mm carbon stem and a set of ritchey carbon bars. forks are allso gone and replaced with a nice set of 2002 marzocchi tripple bombers frame is stripped ready to blast and powder coat.

It's a lovely bike, but I'd think twice about slapping on a pair of triple clamps, the bike only came with 60-70mm travel up front standard and 3 inches on the rear.

I'd agree with the above comments.....nice bike, iffyl stem and would be wary of triple clamps on that frame.

When I first started riding, my friends and I all rode what was available - mainly XC bikes, in a small size with tough bits on them. The bits tended to outlast teh frames! I friend had a King Kikapu of similar vintage and it cracked around the headtube. I would stick to a nice pair of single crown forks.

i know wot you mean the junior t as 170mm of travel so its a bit overboard but tbh i dont expect to take on large drops on the bike im more into a nice xc ride on a sunday affternoon. but they do look nice though.

Attachments

• junior t.jpg
    junior t.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,150
Echo all the above.

And if you are pootling with it in a XC sort of way, why add all that weight and change the geometry so much with some tripple clamps? Will be very front end high I imagine when they are on.

Anyway, I like it as it is now except the stem. What colour you going for?

im going matt black with carbon add ons. so far the stem and bars have been replaced with carbon and im affter some carbon brake boosters for the magura. im taking into account the coments on the forks and may try to source some single crowns to finish with. im also thinking about having the wheels powder coated to give them a new look. cranks will be changed eventualy for more up to date xt and the red magura wil be depainted and polished if possible. so the final look im aiming for is a black bike with silver accesories hopefuly giving the bike a nice finish.

This is your build so you should do as you wish but...

I would sell the Maguras you have and buy the same in silver, or see if anyone is up for a swap. Polishing them may work but it will be hard to keep looking nice and not needing buffing all the time.

You'd need to check that powdercoating wont damage the rims. Again, if it were mine I would just go for some nice stealthy black rims. Would look ace. Lots of choices at all price points in black.

finaly got my frame back from powder coat yesterday. :D just have to source some new forks to finish buildin it up. but will sit it on the bombers till i have some but have taken your comments serious about the forks so wont be riding it till i have new ones. :(

Attachments

• kona manomano powder coat 002.JPG
    kona manomano powder coat 002.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 2,048
Back