1983 Cleland Aventura No. 5 ***SOLD***

Well done for purchasing this.
It will be terrific to have TWO Cleland Aventuras in this area!
Actually three, I've an original, much like yours, and, of course, the lastest incarnation AventuraTT.
I'm looking forward to a ride...

hydorah":1jzo9af9 said:
Best for sale thread ever

And I think it just got better. :cool:

GeoffApps":1jzo9af9 said:
Well done for purchasing this.
It will be terrific to have TWO Cleland Aventuras in this area!
Actually three, I've an original, much like yours, and, of course, the lastest incarnation AventuraTT.
I'm looking forward to a ride...

Thanks a lot Geoff. I am definitely looking forward to going for a ride with the man behind the design. I'll be in touch soon.

And I'm sure we can sort out a wee shot for you sometime Gary. ;)

NO 7

Aventura No7 is currently getting a spruce up courtesy of Dees in Amersham - they were dead chuffed to see one, albeit not their framework.

It was owned by Dave Elliott (sadly recently passed away) who regularly rode with Geoff Apps et al through Wendover.

The bike had been sitting in the garage, unridden for the past few years, but now has an enthusiatic new owner in the shape of Dave's son.

I think the bike is still in it's original configuration, with the addition of a Red Nose Day nose tied to the handlebars. Dave had taken the long front and back mudguards off, but I'll put them back as soon as I've figured out how.

It's a lovely bike, rider friendly and reliable even after all these years. If my knees would let me, I'd be pootling around the Chilterns on it myself.

That's excellent news! Although sorry to hear of Dave's passing.
You'll need two sets of guards: both are rears. Remove all brackets and put little stickies over any unwanted holes.
There should still be a 'shortie' front mudguard; the long mudguard is simply attached to this with a couple of bands made from inner tube.
Not high tech, but best use of available materials and intended to be 'quick release'.
In practice I found I never took the mudguards off, couldn't be bothered, so nowadays my mudguards are permanently fixed, although they have plenty of 'give' in the event of a tumble.
For fitting the rear mudguard there is a tab just behind the bottom bracket. You have to cut a half-inch wide slot up the middle of the guard, about 2" long. The modified mudguard is pushed down behind the tab so that the two 'tails' act to keep it in place.
Once you've done this, where it passes under the seat stay bridge, shaped so the mudguard section fits it, another piece of cut inner tube is used to secure it. Quite tricky this bit, and it's the first part of the fitting process. Hold the piece of inner tube so that each end is over the bridge and pull the loops down. Now the mudguard can be fed though these loops and located behind the bottom bracket as described above.
Finally, there is a tab located at the back of the rear carrier, which should have another inner tube band around it, like the front guard.
The extensions are cut from damp-proof course material, which is available from builders merchants, or I can send you some. I can't remember how I attached them, probably pop-rivets, but these days I use self adhesive velcro. Not much sticks to DPC, so it has to be welded with a soldering iron.
Good luck, and not too much swearing; the process becomes a lot easier when you're doing it three times a day!
PM me, or Graham Wallace. Some photos may be possible.
Maybe we'll see this one on the next Birthday Ride?

Welcome Number 7. Would love to see some pictures of Aventura No 7. What work are the bike shop doing to it for the spruce up?

Thanks Geoff - your instructions will be a great help. The short mudguard is still in place and I did wonder if the long one just fitted under it - then decided that was crazy! (Then saw the pictures here and felt quite pleased with myself.) My son worked out where to fit the slot on the rear guard, so I'm sure we can work the rest out between us. It looks as though the extensions were glued on, but maybe that was Dave's doing. I'll have to hunt around the garage and see if I can find them. (I recently found issues one to fourteen-and-a-half of Making Tracks!)

Dee's are giving it a thorough service - neither myself (Dave's missus) or our son ever got a chance to get our hands dirty on any of our bikes so we thought it wise to get a professional to make sure it was road worthy. There's a couple of books knocking around so we'll learn as we go along.

I'll attempt to post a photo when we get it back, probably after the weekend.

Great to hear that yet another Cleland has survived though sad to hear of Dave's passing. I'm sure I have a few old pictures featuring Dave.

I live in Bucks and work in Great Missenden and 'am more than happy to help out if I can. Apart from a detailed knowledge of riding and maintaining these bikes I also know the whereabouts of many replacement parts.

I look forward to seeing some pictures :cool:

You may even like to reunite it with my Cleland No 10 and join me for a gentle pootle in the woods.

Thanks Graham.

I'd seen from earlier postings that you rode locally, I didn't realise you knew Dave. The name I recall best from those days is 'Darren', usually in the context of 'You'll never guess what Darren's done now'!

I haven't ridden a cycle for some time, but am actually looking forward to trying out the Cleland in some knee-kind woods between here (Amersham) and Chenies.

The next bike to dust off and check out is the Orange Clockwork. Yippee!

The photo looks like Wendover, taken from the cyclists favourite viewpoint!

Attachments

• Wendover 1987.jpg
    Wendover 1987.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 514
Back