1997 Sunn XircuitMax - new pics. on page 3

Tazio":960bt8r4 said:
Here's my one with the soft-tail version of that frame. I almost finished it today with the addition of cables, brakes etc.

I've gone all Shimano XT739 though as the delicate looking parts seem to suit the frame. My one is supposed to be a Total but it isn't chromed as they are supposed to be and it has Xircuit stamped on the bottom bracket. It is a 97 frame though and the chromed Total is the 98 model.

IMG_0125

It is a total! Nice to see my old frame all built up again! Hope it's riding well

aylwindaniel":26x84p5t said:
It is a total! Nice to see my old frame all built up again! Hope it's riding well

Yep a Total it is, just a bit odd that it isn't chromed as the catalogue ones from 98 are all super shiny and not brushed. It is riding well and handles very nicely, once you get used to the soft tail that is. There is a build thread in the post 98 section as I decided it isn't a 97 despite the 97 serial number.

Yep a Total it is, just a bit odd that it isn't chromed as the catalogue ones from 98 are all super shiny and not brushed. It is riding well and handles very nicely, once you get used to the soft tail that is. There is a build thread in the post 98 section as I decided it isn't a 97 despite the 97 serial number.[/quote]

done your homework, i tried to find as much out at time of sale just never saved the paperwprk when i bought it from new. fpund myself a local sunn xircuit flex for sale as i miss the way those softails handle! hopefully pick it up thursday.

korbenn":27unt51p said:
carefull with the headbadge cause it's almost fully broken by the middle (worse thing)
if you don't stick it to the frame, unfortunately you are gonna lose it during the first ride :?

cheers korbenn :)

at the moment the cup for the badge is still fixed to the frame by those metall clips, and you can move it sidewide to wide - so I guess it will stay there for the moment. Should I remove it and secure it to frame with a double adhesive tape ?

did cpl. dismantle the fork and clean it. Seals are looking good, and as soon as a friend is going to make me a mounting tool that helps to install the seals I will fill in new oil and test if the airseals are tight.

new pics. to follow.

never tried with a double adhesive tape, but what I'm sure is if you want to remove there's a lot of chance to break it in 2, as you will have to take out the plastic pin (rivet ?) from the frame by holding the headbadge.

plastic doesn't last long in time, unfortunately it is tricky but you may help by putting some plastic glue in the upper crack to reinforce the whole thing...

cheers - you are right with the possibility of braking it while removing the cup - the plastic pin which is inside the steerer tube could brake. will try to fix it with a plastic modeller cement and together with the new decal it will work.

the Obsyss 55 fork did hold the air well, but would benefit from new oil and in general a service and a good clean. Disambling was not difficult, the quite simple build of the fork makes it a straightforward process. also I had the how to do instruction manual from the net, it was in french, but the pics. speaks for themselves. Cleaned all the parts and started to rebuild the fork, but when it comes to install the seals, I was facing difficulties, as they dont slip over the tubes :( Doesnt matter how hard I tried, I couldn't do it without damaging the seals lips. Again checking the manual I saw a tool which at first sight did not paid to much attention to: a cone which seems to help the seals slip over the tubes, but where to get these ? They did not come with the fork. I spoke to a friend of mine as he has a lathe and from a piece od Delrin he made that for me:

2012-10-28_10-21-49_653.jpg

It was a perfect help and the seals slid on the tubes like it should have been. Filled in new oil and after checking the right oil-level the fork's ready for reinstall :)

obsys55fork_Sunn.jpg

Lovely stuff! I don't see too many Sunn's around here. I wanted one BITD (wouldn't have minded a Sunn Roader either :eek:ops) But Sunn pulled out of the UK market/dropped of the radar before I had the oppourtunity :( .

Looking forward to seeing it built up.

great thread, made me realise I must do one for the 99 softail I have almost finished building, which is Shimano free as someone mentioned on here. Can't wait to see the next step, keep up the good work.

frame's weight (incl. headset cups)

frameinclheadsetcups_07SunnXircuitMax.jpg

some more parts adding up

Mavic's MkI Crossmax - rear has got a new rim (old one was broken)

crossmaxfrontwheelinclskewer_Sunn.jpg

crossmaxrearwheelinclskewer_Sunn.jpg

tyres - Hutchinson Python, what else ;)

hutchinsonpythonrear_Sunn.jpg

hutchinsonpythonfront_Sunn.jpg

Maxxis tubes x 2

maxxistuberear_Sunn.jpg

to be continued,...

Back