2001 Kona Kilauea - JPS Special

coomber":3brpojst said:
I dont really like polished forks as they get dull so quick. I'd powdercoat black and get subtle (minimal) gold decals for them.

Yeah, not really sure what to do.
Am a bit reluctant to powdercoat, as not only will it mean stripping them down completely, but I'm unsure what the baking will do to the bonding of the stanchions to the crown. I could paint them, or get vinyl wraps made with the logos included....

Ideally, I'd find a set of gold Marzocchi Z2 Superfly's :cool:

G

It is me or is the top tube decal a bit squiffy? Also, the cabling at the front looks a bit tight on the head-tube; make sure it's proper protected.

Interesting frame and I like the drop-outs. What tubing was used - any ideas?

Dropouts are Richey socket type, and they are lovely, arent they? :cool:

I see what you mean about the to tube decal, but its just a trick of the camara.... they are both straight, I made sure of it

I have been in touch with Kona on a number of occasions regarding the tubing, and while they dont have any sepcific details on the pipes, but the following is from an email they sent me

konaworld":yocdzg39 said:
I’ve got to stretch my head back a bit on this one. As I recall the Kilauea was the result of not having a steel frame here that was in the nicer category for folks who wanted to build it up themselves. It came up late in the season after show time after the shops had reviewed the lineup and saw there was not much steel to be had.

The top, seat, and down tubes are double butted but I couldn’t tell you exactly where those butts are, but is lighter than the Lava Dome as the tubes are thinner and there are more butts so less material. I don’t think that frame is the same as the Lava, geometry yes but under the paint no.

G

He was my first point of contact :cool:

The "to do list" now only consists of either finding a good XTR 950 BB, or getting a 109.5mm Dura Ace or 105 version. The 118.5mm I currently have is too long. Then finding a good XTR front mech. The XT ones I have are bottom pull, the frame takes a top pull.

Oh yeah, and the bar tape now looks out of place, so will replace with black, and maybe some gold stubbies

G

Very nice indeed. I always fancied a JPS themed bike. That is awesome.
I think a nice set of gold Marzocchi Z2's with black decals would look good or a black set with gold decals and gold or sunset Mavic rims to finish it off

Very nice. :cool:
Agree with other posters that the forks are now letting the frame down a bit, but at least it gives you something to work on. :LOL:

Might have to join the party and do a frame in Gold Leaf Lotus colours.

gold%20leaf%20lotus.jpg

:cool: :LOL:

Gold Leaf is still a John Player brand ;)

Im going one of 3 ways with the forks.
1 - Polish them up
2 - Get the gold layered up with black M's
3 - Get the black layered up with gold M's

I'm thinking gold with black M's.... will be so simple to do at work, then just wrap the legs with the vinyl
Anyone going to the MTB Madness race in Manchester on the 13 July, can give me their input there

G

Looking awesome, although agree with you and other re: forks. Black and gold or gold and black, either way will be an improvement and complete the look.

Otherwise, very tidy, i'm a fan of it. :D

Going to clean and polish the forks for now, then sort them out for the long term in a few weeks.....

Cant beleive nobody has noticed the obvious mistake with the graphics :LOL:

G

Back