What hi fi system you got ?

I just want to hear about other peoples hi-fi. I don't want to get into anything complex like burn in/run in/interconnect differences. I just wanna know what people got like in the title, but if anyone wants to go more indepth that's their choice.

ps i used to independently review and feedback kit for a proper hi fi dealer from the late eighties to the mid nineties.....testing out different / new kit almost every week for him, in return i got good discount and had fun too. I listened to brands,Townsend/ Thorens/Ariston/Heco/Canton/Rotel/Nad/Infinity/ Onkyo/ Sansui/Dual /TDL when it was good/ Mission/Musical fidelity/B+W/Cambridge etc etc.

I went digital 10 years ago with Meridian. Have a 5.1 system with DSP5000s. 598 and 568 DVD-A. Great sound.
Had Naim before that with Epos speakers.
Before that was NAD.

I used to sell mid end stuf in the 90s

Meridian stuff looks so different to everything else never heard any of their stuff myself. Do you have a specific hi fi room or is blended in to a living room ?

Set up in our living room. One of the reasons for buying the hose was that room was perfect for the best layout.
TV in the centre of the wall, with the two Meridian boxes and centre speaker under. Two sides 4' either side and the two rears the same distance apart, 2' behind the sofa.
With the M kit, you can set it up via laptop and set the distances of speakers from your ears, set the angles and bass set up for the room.
Once set up, it just sounds awesome. Much better in depth, clarity, musicality and all round feel than the Naim.
Naim IMHO is great for analogue and LPs. With my experience, it didn't match Meridian for digital.

Got a borrowed Pioneer A300-X in my office running a set of Mordaunt Short MS-10's I picked up from ebay for £20, the laptop is the source but using an Asus Xonar USB sound card which makes a massive difference as the built in so called HD audio is awful and flat. You can really hear the differences between differently encoded MP3's. I still have my old Sony CDP-790 which i've had since new (1988 I think) which I might connect up but with a NAS full of my ripped CD's it probably wont get used much.
Have some modern AV kit in the living room with a pretty decent Denon AV amp and some Tannoy Mercury floorstanders.

Carl.

Ditched the CD player for a USB DAC a couple of years ago. I now have all my CDs ripped and stored on a hard drive as uncompressed WAV files using J-River media centre: http://www.jriver.com/, this works really well and I can use my Android phone as a touch screen remote controll to choose tracks to play back on the Hi-Fi.

Several amps, both speaker and headphone, mainly DIY/kit stuff: http://www.tdsf.co.uk/Audio/Hypex.shtml together with some Dynaudio speakers.

Building an amp from a kit was a bit of a gamble, but having done so, I reckon they comfortably out perform anything I could have bought retail for a similar price. Might try a speaker kit next. :)

xerxes":3g7bfuv5 said:
Ditched the CD player for a USB DAC a couple of years ago. I now have all my CDs ripped and stored on a hard drive as uncompressed WAV files using J-River media centre: http://www.jriver.com/, this works really well and I can use my Android phone as a touch screen remote controll to choose tracks to play back on the Hi-Fi.

Like the idea of this or using something like the FLAC format, but I can't really be arsed to re-rip something like 700 CD's and i'd need to keep the MP3 format as well for mobile/car usage. Even with my 4TB NAS I may not have the space as I think I would need something like 2.8TB just for the FLAC's.

Carl.

Even with my 4TB NAS I may not have the space as I think I would need something like 2.8TB just for the FLAC's.

Actually most CDs use a lot less space than you might think; a lot of older albums were only 35 or 40 minutes because they were originally the right length for vinyl.

I have about 800 CDs and ripping them totally uncompressed amounted to 410GB. I have enough space left on a 2TB drive for my collection to quadruple in size with space to spare. Given it's taken about 20 years to get to 800 CDs, this might never happen. :D

You can use J-River to transfer files to other devices, MP3 players etc. and convert/compress them on the fly to an alternative format.

Had proper 430mm width hifi over the years..pinnacle was Sony AMP ES TAF 500.. cassette deck Sonty ES TCK 700.. Sony CDP750 CD Player..

Now due to space and Mrs Ernie :roll: ..{its too big}..dont hear that often :LOL: :LOL:

I have 2 x Teac referance 300 DAB MK 3 with M+S speakers... superb sound and build quality..one in the lounge and one in the dining room

Ernie ;)

Back