What hi fi system you got ?

kaiser i got all the magazines at one time.........yup the reviews were ! i bought quite a bit of stuff on the basis of reviews and was quite often very disapointed..............i had some Quad stuff once esl 63 speakers, 505/2 amp and 33 ? pre the tuner was amazing .

Big cheese......never russ andrews...but i did waste some money on cables, but then started making my own.........most are just (tone controls) really adding or taking away sharpness/bass...........wooops i may have started something....hi fi troll alert ;)

Its just electrons, no such thing as 'sharpness' etc. Its capacitance/ inductance/ resistance - ask Apache, he's the 'proper' electronics guy.

Next thing that will be written buy somebody will about 'breaking in' periods....

There is a minimum quality requirement for everything, after that it is purely subjective.

Its a shrinking industry that needs to make money just like any other business and if myths and great big fibs can be passed as gospel, deciples will argue until the moo cows come home.

Good CD players - yes, there are differences between your £39 Eclipse and a £1300 Marantz CD-94. Some engineer spent hours supressing Radio Frequency (RF) interference and getting those zeros and ones to translate to audible sounds with as little jitter as possible. But not near as much in your cheapie CD/ DVD player.

Amplifiers - a dark art, there are some nasty designs out there, Apache can tell you more if he reads this.

Speakers - basic rules: the more efficient the design, the louder it will be and the less current it will draw from the amplifier. The amplifier does less hard work. The lower the impedance rating (4/6/8 Ohm etc), the more current is drawn form the amp and the harder it has to work, hence higher amplifier outputs are given for driving 4 Ohm speakers.

Theres loads more, some of you will already know, some wont, feel free to ask.

Why have you started anther Hi-fi thread? We already have a section for all things Hi-Fi?

Rant over, back on topic:

heres a few I've had for brief moments:

jammy_git_882.jpg

aandr_amplificator_761.jpg

bose_301_series_iii_200.jpg

castle_warwick_drivers_147.jpg

bandw_dm2_series_2_128.jpg

AU517_00005.jpg

I have a lot of NAD and Wharfedale stuff..... Bearing in mind I live in the land of Bang & Olufsen:

Wife's office system is Rotel RCD955AX running through a NAD C320BEE running Diamond 8.1s

Main system is a late 70s Rega Planar 3 (thanks LGF)-NAD PP1/NAD 585 running (analog out) into a NAD t754 into a Diamond 9.3- based surround system and kitchen speakers which are Wharfedale Diamond 8.2s

Kids have a Technics SL2000 running into a Cambridge Audio amp (with attached CD player) that I bought from LGF at the same time as the Planar 3. Speakers are something my wife had before we married but sound pretty good - no idea what they are though.....

And there's a NADC325BEE that's not being used at the moment.....

It should be pretty obvious that my Hi-fi buying habits and my MTB-buying habits are not altogether dissimilar.....

tintin40 other thread is in 'for sale' section.....i just want to talk not sell anything :D assumed this was right place ?

Big cheese 'sharpness' is just a common phraze...dull/sharp...high low........bass treble......are you saying the sound is basically the same, but we just add or take away somthing, i don't quite understand what your getting at.

At the end of the day like bikes or cars they all feel a bit different to each other, have things they do better or worse than others.

But i just wanted to see what systems people enjoy their music through.

Me thinks LGF needs to educate Mr Greenstiles and out his previous experience with working for top-end hifi manufacturers.

Back