1999 Santa Cruz Chameleon...major update. Rebuild Nr 2 (p4)

I
superstu":2ba8e8rb said:
Coming along nicely, did I miss something but are you keeping the Z1's after all?

I sold the orange ones because they had a Formula mount, which restricted my brake options too much, so I bought these polished ones but the fork legs are hammered. The guy said the paint needs work, which I thought was just corrosion, not chunks of metal flaking off! I was also unable to find a 20mm conversion for my Big Un which also meant I had to back to a QR fork.

DaveyBoyWonder":3axtlgra said:
Ah, so you got the Z1s? I was sat there thinking they'd go for next to nowt with them having no steerer as I was going to bang in a bid for them as I need to rebuild my BAMs.

Out of interest, are you selling the polished Z1s? Might be interested... PM me a price ;)

Dave

That was me....went right up to my maximum bid too. I only when that high because I had a steerer I could use.

I really can't believe how much the old Bombers sell for...the last few pairs have sold for close to £100. Which I don't really want to pay for an old fork, especially as I picked up an 03 pair of Z1 Freerides for £50.

What bits are you after? I'll see what these green things are like and let you know about the silver ones.

Its the internals I need really and the top caps. Whoever had mine before me has attacked them with an adjustable wrench, rounded them all off etc and oil shoots out the top when they compress!

Prices of old bolted arch Bombers is bonkers. Weirdly, a mint set will go for nearly the same price as battered sets on eBay...

DaveyBoyWonder":2mfc2z9p said:
Its the internals I need really and the top caps. Whoever had mine before me has attacked them with an adjustable wrench, rounded them all off etc and oil shoots out the top when they compress!

Prices of old bolted arch Bombers is bonkers. Weirdly, a mint set will go for nearly the same price as battered sets on eBay...

I'll give you a shout when the others turn up. I'd be quite interested in selling the polished ones as it makes more sense than having them sitting about in the garage.

Even the early M arch forks go for loads.....I was watching some Wedges and they went for loads. I had a pair of them and paid next to nowt for them because no one was interested because of lack of adjustability etc.

OK, let me know... Would be interested in parts of full polished fork.

Funnily enough they're to go on my old mk1 Chameleon. Had one of the first in the UK when they came out and it got nicked less than a year later so picked this battered blue one up cheap with a pretty good condition full XT groupset, Bombers, Azonic cockpit etc. Tempted to strip it like yours!

DaveyBoyWonder":2yjq0e9u said:
OK, let me know... Would be interested in parts of full polished fork.

Funnily enough they're to go on my old mk1 Chameleon. Had one of the first in the UK when they came out and it got nicked less than a year later so picked this battered blue one up cheap with a pretty good condition full XT groupset, Bombers, Azonic cockpit etc. Tempted to strip it like yours!

Davey Boy, just about to drop you a PM re the forks.

Was the one that got nicked this colour (my old MkI....I loved this bike but it was way too small, even as a jump bike hence the long stem)

I remember when they first came out; Paul Smith from MBUK had a yellow one with orange Bombers. One of my mates had a green one with orange bombers, C2's, Big Un's etc. That was such a nice bike.[/img]

Back