Help Colnago Master Rear Wheel Slipping Out

mat*46*

Dirt Disciple
I've got a pretty anoying problem with my Colnago Master. The rear wheel keeps on slipping and dragging to one side scuffing against the rear stay.

Admittedly it only happens when in the wrong gear, [52-11] coming out of a junction, but it's frustrating and shouldn't be happening.

It has horizontal drops and is fitted with a mordern carbon quick release wheel.

Initially i had light weight skewers fitted but swapped the rear out to somthing a bit chunkier when the problem started.

Do you have any advice? Really want to keep the retro bike but if it carries on i may need to purchase somthing with vertical drops.

When it happens it takes me ages remove the quick release because it was done up so tight so not sure what's happening.

This may be caused by the small amount of axle which goes into the dropout not being small enough and the skewer is tightening against the axle and not the dropout...........

Phil "the engine" Bayton used horizontal dropouts without problems as did the much bigger Trevor Bull :)

Shaun

slipping wheel

is the wheel the correct size for teh drop-outs - i.e. 130mm?

If so - my advice, get some old-school campag QR's and do them up as tight as you can, problem solved.

khushy

All bikes with chrome dropouts do this . All my Colnagos have at some time done it, and have resulted in some embarrassing rider/tarmac interfaces. As mentioned, campag skewers help.

If it's not the axle being too long then one option is to screw a track wheel on the rear and damage the chrome to give more grip.

Wrecks the chrome though :(

Shaun

you would be surprised at how crappy some skewers actually are - its all about the grip nuts on the inside and those at the skewer ends - choose wisely - hence Campag & Royce rec.

khushy

A number of chromed rear ends retain painted drop-outs, maybe for that reason? My Somec has chromed and over painted horizontal drop-outs with campy skewers, only time the wheel slipped was when I didn't do up the skewer enough.

Back