Just bought a 1988 Peugeot Perthus Pro...

Perthus

Just had a look and what a bargain. Mine was a bit more pricy, but 24.5" frames are hard to find unfortunately. Yours is in great condition - the paintwork on mine is nowhere near as good as yours: excellent.

The plan is to service and rebuild it and ride it for the remainder of the season, then take it off the road for the winter and get it resprayed. I'm tempted not so much by a restoration as by a 'modernisation'. What d'ya reckon to a carbon a-head fork an Ultegra groupset, deep-v rims, aero bladed spokes on the front blah blah blah.

I'll post up some picks of the initial rebuild, using various old Ultegra bits and bobs...

The paintwork on mine is quite patchy, I think the photos don't really show some of the chips etc. Still I am very pleased with its condition and I was pleased with the price.

I am not sure on the modernization. For me I am keeping it original, for now. I might upgrade the parts slowly as I can afford it but I would most likely replace with similar period Campag parts.

I love the chrome forks so for me carbon forks would look weird.

Go for it though, would be really nice to see what it turns out like and how it rides.

Modernisation

I repent! I think you're right about the carbon forks and going 'too' modern. I quite like the idea of a rebuild along these lines:

RaleighInternational2012.jpg

I can see a grey saddle and handlebar tape and orange brake cables...

Yeah I reckon that sort of thing would be nice. Also the colours you are thinking of sound good.

Only thing I don't like in that photo is the modern stem. I much prefer the older alloy style stems.

I like this idea and will be following this build... :cool:

Recent components would suit the colours of the Perthus very well. If you stick with the chromed fork you might want to go with chromed components, but if you go with a carbon fork a darker groupset would look good. I like the orange cables idea - very smart.

I was lucky enough to come across one of these in a vintage store. I paid under £80 for it, completely NOS (although it did have tri-bars and tubs wheels) which i have since changed.

It's also worth noting, the Shimano 600EX group-set is another point not to be over looked. It was preferred back in the day by the Pro's (Sean Yates included) over the Dura Ace components and they look ace.

I've done loads of miles on mine and unless your racing, i'm not sure why you would ever need to ride anything else. A proper ace bike for a proper good price. I was so lucky to have found mine and if i hadn't, i suspect i would have swollen the 'cycling marketing pil' and possibly spent x10 more ££££ on a piece of carbon bullshit!

I was fairly certain it was from 1984 tho?

+1 for ditching the carbon fork idea :p

I'd go campag if possible with ergo shifters :D

Am doing a similar build with 1967 Flying Scot, not too modern but enough to make it the way I want.......................

Be aware that you can't cold set 753, so you might need to be creative with getting a wide enough hub in the back for a modern groupset. If you force it, it will break!

rear end

I've been pondering about the best way to get a modern hub inside my non-modern frame. I was going to build another set of wheels myself, based around modern ultegra hubs. I notice that beneath the flashy decals they are just normal cup and cone jobs, and that I can loose about 5mm in the left hand spacer that is normally fitted, shortening the axle to take it down from 130mm to 125mm. I also have access to workshop facilities, so I could even thin down the lock nuts a little bit if required. Not sure if that will do the wheel dish many favours, but we'll see. That's the thought at the moment! You are right, i need to be a bit circumspect about this here 753 frame material!

Back