Raleigh technium ( 1989) build

MADB

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well this Karma frame come my way so I have decided to try my hand at stripping and painting or polishing. I know I can get it done cheaper and easier but I wanted to give it a go myself and I`m in no rush. Not sure at the moment what I`m going to build the bike in to but probably a single speed. So here a few pictures to start with.

The stuck seat post come out after an overnight in WD40 and I`m coming to the conclusion nitromors is crap.

http://brian07900.pinkbike.com/album/19 ... -Technium/

main.php

main.php

main.php

I really like the wish bone stay and lugs on the frame.

Cheers Brian

Nitromors is very slow but keep at it.

If you look at the "dawes escape" in my signature you will see I did the same thing and got good results in the end.

There is a powdercoating place near me that will dip a frame and repowdercoat for £75.00 though, so you have to ask yourself if its worth stripping by hand.

Did you rough up the surface of the paint with sand paper to give it a "key" before applying the paint stripper? Makes a huge difference.

lrh":2ofjmq9u said:
Did you rough up the surface of the paint with sand paper to give it a "key" before applying the paint stripper? Makes a huge difference.

Not on my tester patch I didn't, the clear coat they used on these old bikes is sum bloody good stuff, takes a bit effort even with sandpapper to shift.

Rupeww, this one is not really about the cost , effort or time needed to get the frame looking good again, it's the experience of doing it myself from start to finish.

Some more nitromors applied to the rest of the seat stay, see how we get with it after a good sanding first.

rupeww":2ti0cpfe said:
Nitromors is very slow but keep at it.

If you look at the "dawes escape" in my signature you will see I did the same thing and got good results in the end.

There is a powdercoating place near me that will dip a frame and repowdercoat for £75.00 though, so you have to ask yourself if its worth stripping by hand.

The lugs and tubes were bonded (fancy word for glued) instead of brazed. Powder Coating is cured at 400deg. Can the glue stand that temp before failing? I wouldn't chance it.

Can I please have it back now you've stripped that awful paint off?!....no seriously, I'm so glad it ended up with you and it's going to get a new lease of life. Cheers :D

Racin'snake":m4vyuyjg said:
Can I please have it back now you've stripped that awful paint off?!....no seriously, I'm so glad it ended up with you and it's going to get a new lease of life. Cheers :D

Had about an hour today and still lot more work to go into the frame but Im think of what to do with it. I'm thinking a fluo yellow front polished main tubes and white back end.

main.php

Another harlf hour in the garage tonight (I'm running out of tokens fast) and I'm pleased with the progress so far.

main.php

Back