2000 King Kikapoop

ClexAook

Retro Newbie
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.

Just wanted to show you my year 2000 Kona King Kikapu.

It's been a long process building her up as I could afford various parts, and the result is an eclectic mix, but it works well for me.

SAM_1158.jpg

SAM_1159.jpg

Yes it's a tiny frame, but after back surgery I'm still left with a relatively short torso vs my leg length. It looks a bit odd but it works.

Mixed selection of parts, some new, some old. Spec goes something like this:

Frame: 2000 King Kikapu w/ Fox Float
Fork: Marzocchi Marathon R
Front Wheel: Mavic XC717 on Sun Ringle with DT revolution Spokes
Rear Wheel: DT on XTR with aerolite spokes
Tyres: Race King 2.0 w/ Michelin Latex Tubes
Cassette: XT
Mech: XTR
Cranks: Deore Hollowtech
Pedals: Egg Beater 1s
Seatpost: Thomson Elite w/ Thomson Clamp
Saddle: Selle Maxflite Flow
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 90mm
Bars: Bontrager XXX lite carbon
Bar ends: Mt Zoom
Levers: Cane Creek Direct Curve
Shifters: Deore w/ghetto indicator window removal
Brakes: BB7s
Rotors: KCNC Razor 160/140mm
Cables: Alligator I-Link

Thanks Salty, the photos don't do it much justice. Konas aren't the prettiest bikes all things considered, but I like them.

I think that's a really cool bike.

I love Kona's of that era and I love seeing a bike that's set up for how the user is going to get the most of it.

Rather than conforming to whatever the current trend in its clearly a bike that has been built to be ridden.

Great effort chap. I am a little bit jealous of that.

Thanks alot :D

I do get a bit of banter in the LBS about my lack of taste and fashion, but if everybody wanted the same thing there wouldn't be much of a market would there?

It was quoted as a 14". But probably due to the suspension etc I'm sure it is actually taller than that,

I personally think Kona's don't date as much as other brands of that era plus they still ride pretty well even by today's standards. Nice bike by the way!

I quite like that - I love the way smaller bikes look, the top tube always slopes more agressively etc.

I'm a big Kona fan and think that their bikes age better than a lot of others; even ones painted in suspect colours like my 01 Stinky was.

Back