Avid Elixir 5 query

Whatleymeister

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Good morning fine people of RB,

I am running an Elixir 5 on my saracen which, generally speaking, I am quite pleased with. However, after a while, normally about an hour into a ride or less if lots of heavy braking, it starts to get quite noticable shudder under braking. Not a lot of noise at the time, but the quick 'duh-duh-duh' of the shuddering can be heard.

Anyone have experience of this? Am I just being fussy? They seem to work ok while its shuddering, just need to grab a bit more lever to get the most out of them.

I miss my old M4 brakes, now they were the shizzle :cool:

Dan

I wouldre-space your caliper to see if it stops it, sometimes you get harmonics that reallt travel through the bike.

When re-spacing, loosen of cliper , then REALLY pull brake lever in hard and tighen up bolts, you will find it easier if there's 2 people.

Cheers mate, I will give it a go. I think I was pretty hard on it when setting up before but cant hurt to re tweak it :)

The pads that came with them from factory mate, but will change them if it will improve things. As I understand, brake fade disappears after the brakes cool from a heavy session. This takes aaaaaaages to return to normal.

Perhaps its just my 17 stone weight causing them to struggle :LOL:

Dont have the budget for a replacement brake, this one only has about 100 miles or so on it so its sticking around for a while. I will check what pads it has, try resetting the position of the caliper and if that fails, have a bash at replacement pads.

Any idea on replacement pads? I will have a look later, but wonder if straight forward avid replacements might not be the best choice.

OEM pads tend to rate well but check reviews on them and other branded ones. Google will help you with that.

I think a brake has to be at a resonable temp (not dead cold) for it to bite properly.

EBC pads are good, did you check your pads for uneven wear ? or have they come off/been on another bike ?

greenstiles":2sz2oh4q said:
EBC pads are good, did you check your pads for uneven wear ? or have they come off/been on another bike ?
Nah mate, they are only about 100 miles old, they came on the brake new a few moths ago! i might whip 'em out and try some better pads. need to replace my avid v blocks on the rear too actually as I cant even skid in the sand at the moment! :LOL:

Back