Olympic Gold, US Open, Wimbledon and now the US Open Again!

KeepItSteel":3dclbmr3 said:
The lad is just 25. Perhaps you know something the world at large is ignorant about? Is he about to retire?

The way I see it, Federer is soon out. That leaves Andy at, say 27, with a a few more years in the game with a clearer shot at finals. No reason at all he cannot capitalise on one of those that happen to be slams.

Whilst I can see sense in the theory that Andy may get lucky and win a slam by virtue of default once the other top players get too old/injured etc (what a thing to pin your hopes on)

I don't think Murray is pinning his hopes on Federer retiring; but it is an obvious prospect.

Murray should have every reason to hope for a career as long as Federer's. This should mean a stretch clear of one of his major rivals.

That kind of succession occurs naturally in most sports.

The Jimmy White analogy is not really appropriate, as he won just about everything except the world championships, which in Tennis terms does not exist as such in one tournament.

My all time favourite tennis player is McEnroe. Who gives a fig about being 'nice'?

IMHO Murray is the best British player since Fred Perry. He's proved he's good enough to get to Slam finals and it only takes a bit more luck/improvement in tactics to win at least one. I think he'll do it.

I've never bought into this personality rubbish. When he's at work he's a tennis player, not a comedian. He always seems personable and informative in interviews, with a nice line in understated humour.

sorry, I missed this earlier post

I don't think Murray is pinning his hopes on Federer retiring; but it is an obvious prospect.
I meant you, pinning your hopes on his career stretching out just long enough (although i'm sure it's also crossed AM's mind)

Murray should have every reason to hope for a career as long as Federer's. This should mean a stretch clear of one of his major rivals.
splendid

The Jimmy White analogy is not really appropriate, as he won just about everything except the world championships, which in Tennis terms does not exist as such in one tournament.

I disagree, Murray has won plenty of the 'other' tournaments too. But the one he missed out on, 6 times, the one i'm sure he'd be the first to admit he really wanted, the one all his fans deeply wanted him to win, is regarded the pinnacle in World Snooker.
In fact, Murray has 4 chances at a pinnacle every year..

Would White swap every other tournament win for 1 World Championship? Possibly/Probably
Would Murray swap all of his for 1 slam?....

My all time favourite tennis player is McEnroe. Who gives a fig about being 'nice'?

Me?
There's a huge difference, McEnroe was a born winner. He did whatever he could/needed to get ahead and win the truly important matches.
Yes, he sulked.
And yes, he had personality. A true legend.

highlandsflyer":wjdu2trv said:
Override on Murray prospects talk required.

:)

I haven't seen the format, but IMO, if Murray meets Tsonga, Djokovic or Federer - he will lose

KeepItSteel":3ixp4qur said:
I meant you, pinning your hopes on his career stretching out just long enough (although i'm sure it's also crossed AM's mind)

I am merely stating the obvious.

I would be perfectly happy to see Federer playing on for years, regardless of the effect on Murray's prospects.

Rather unrealistic though.

McEnroe would be the first to admit in the current state of tennis he might not have won as many majors as he did.

You seem hell bent on doing down one of the best tennis players this land has produced, for what I do not know.

Certainly not based on anything logical.

Sorry Spock!
i'm not at all hell bent to bring him down, just responding and offering a differing opinion to your praise is all.

Ach, I am not all about praising him.

He would have been all but out tonight had the roof closing not come into it.

I do agree he will struggle against the remaining top 5, but it really is all in the game at each event. He is in with a chance at the very least.

His battle seems to be mental, ironically given his physical 'ailments'.

He scored a few aces tonight, that is where I think he needs to go in the game. He needs the escape hatch a strong serve provides.

:)

Latest posts

Back