Retrobike National Series Rd 4: Yorkshire Dales ~ 07/07/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't be there, 2 holes in right knee and I don't think my surgeon would be too happy if I told him I was doing a 20 odd mile ride a week later.
I'm bored.
Matthew

I know it's a week away, but any ideas on type of tyre? Is there going to be a lot of muddy/greasy singletracking or will i get away with something like a Continental RaceKing that's got a minimalist tread? ;)

richmog08":tv373d35 said:
I know it's a week away, but any ideas on type of tyre? Is there going to be a lot of muddy/greasy singletracking or will i get away with something like a Continental RaceKing that's got a minimalist tread? ;)

Anything pre 97 will do... speeds will not require a performance tyre. ;-)

Ah the eternal tyre debate.... Do you go for modern performance or retro aesthetics?

It doesn't really matter as long as it's period correct and skinwall.

I think the only thing i've got that's period correct, is my Cross Country 1.5's! I knew i shouldn't have sold all those old tyres. :oops:

firedfromthecircus":qffkh2qc said:
Quite fancy this one myself. Where are the best camping spots, or somewhere to lay up the van without hassle?

Sorry for slow reply :oops: ( been a bit busy)

I'll try and find out about camp site's but the field that we're using for parking allows camping (I think, will find out for you)
As for free camping I would think any where out of sight would be ok, unforchantly we're not as accommodating as Scotland down here.

cheers kaya

tyre choice? i've still got the bike choice thing. rigid and retro is a good bet ;)

alot of this ride is well drained, either by gravity or nature of terrain. so, anything with some knobbly-ness will suffice. cheapo centre-ridge type may feel skitty on the few grassy areas but, will do.

potato flicking two-point-massive not needed either. just an average xc tyre with 45-50 p.s.i ought to do the average rider. the terrain isn't likely to produce a MM style mummy-wrap to the bike but, there are some sections which may be a little soft due to junes' more then average rain fall. crud guards may be a bonus but, not essential as the forecast is for a light s/westerly breeze and broken sunshine(good for any climbing). one ford crossing has a bridge and the other is real fun and ridable(see recce aftermath).

kaya":16ttk83n said:
firedfromthecircus":16ttk83n said:
Quite fancy this one myself. Where are the best camping spots, or somewhere to lay up the van without hassle?

I'll try and find out about camp site's but the field that we're using for parking allows camping (I think, will find out for you)
As for free camping I would think any where out of sight would be ok, unforchantly we're not as accommodating as Scotland down here.

cheers kaya

Cheers Kaya. A google has not come up with much for tents and all the reasonably priced b&bs seem booked up.
:(

firedfromthecircus":1xl8fc4i said:
kaya":1xl8fc4i said:
firedfromthecircus":1xl8fc4i said:

cheers kaya

Cheers Kaya. A google has not come up with much for tents and all the reasonably priced b&bs seem booked up.
:(

There isn't much of anything round there IIRC. It is so beautiful round there and the riding is amazing though! I suppose you could say its unspoilt.....

The Dales MTB centre do some awesome cake! They do have a bunkhouse thing, probably all booked up now but may be worth enquiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back