1994 Clark Kent Cromag - 14th September Update

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi All,

➡️ Bit long winded this but ....

I recently bought the above back from Slimjoe (Joe) after selling it back to him over a year ago. Prior to that I bought it from Haggis (Stew) who I think had bought it from Slimjoe so I I’m the third and fifth owner of the frame! :oops: :LOL:

In a moment of madness sold the frame as despite it being a fantastic ride I just wasn't doing it justice build wise - to be honest it was all over the place.

I put up a thread asking for build advice and Jez aptly summed the needed build as being:

jez-4-bikes-max":1wwr396r said:
USA brand -

I'd go...

Full m900
No bling
Accutrax rigid or Mag21
Syncros post and stem
Onza barends L-bends
Flite

&

jez-4-bikes-max":1wwr396r said:
Black and silver. This isnt a "oooh wanky ti or skinny poofy one race season steel frame" This is a quality robust USA frameset that needs riding and not necessarily "stroking"...

Its purposeful. :D

At the time I didn't have the budget, time, want to go this route.

A little while later I sold the bike.

Almost immediately I realized I mad a boo boo. :(

I recently built up an DB Axis Pro as per the catalogue. This meant sourcing a load of M900 kit.

The build was completed and made for a nice ride.

When I saw that this frame had come up again for sale I jumped at the chance to buy it back :oops: :LOL:

So thats it.

Back in my ownership and its not going anywhere. :D :twisted:

➡️ History to the brand

I have been able to find little about these frames other than whats on the tinterweb about the collaboration between Pat Clark and Dean Kent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark-Kent_(Bicycles)

➡️ Pics

I believe that this frame started life in Canada around 1994. The first picture shows the frame pre refinishing in the UK.

clarkkent001.jpg

Slimjoe had the frame beautifully refinished in the UK and the paint is an amazing metallic silver with an electric blue through the decals.

clark_kent_010_647.jpg

clark_kent_009_169.jpg

The finish of the frame is wonderful. Very tidy gusset under the DT really shows of the welds.

This is how I built it originally:

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010004.jpg

➡️ Build plan:

Frame: 1994 Clark Kent

Fork: 420mm AtoC Specialized fork - WIP this one

Headset: Onza Mongo
Stem: Syncros
Handlebar: Syncros
Grips: ODI
Barends: None at present

Brakes: XTR M900 & Suntour SE
Brake Pads: XTR M900
Brake Cables: XTR
Cantilever cable hangers: XTR 900
Brake Levers: XTR M900

Shifters: XTR M900
Front Derailleur: XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR M900
Derailleur Cables:XTR
Cassette: XTR M900
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: XTR M900
Crank Bolts: Middleburn
Chainrings: XTR M900
Chainring bolts: XTR M900
Bottom Bracket: UN91
Pedals: M737

Hub Skewers: XTR M900
Rims: Campagnolo
Hubs: XTR M900
Tyres: IRC

Saddle: Flite (Red logo)
Seatpost: Syncros
Seatpost Binder: Controltech

➡️ New Pics

Whilst not 100% finished I am nearly there :)

Got a few bolts to replace and need to add the decals to the seatpost but getting there.

I had earmarked a pair of skin wall tyres for the build but after seeing my slicks on the bike I am thinking black wall :?

All suggestions etc very welcome :D

IMGP2171.jpg

IMGP2172.jpg

IMGP2175.jpg

IMGP2176.jpg

And just for grannyrider - Thank you again for the stem :cool:

IMGP2174.jpg

➡️ A couple of quick update pics

Just been out for a test ride a head of this weekends Peaks ride. A bit of tinkering needed but getting there.

Bike now wears proper tyres :) The forks whist way too modern seem to suit quite well and with their relatively modest 430mm AtoC don't mess with the geometry too much.

Been a bit of a girl with this bike in not wanting to get it scratched :oops: But cannot afford to have a garage queen so will hopefully be riding her more.

Rubbish pics and taken against the woodstore :roll: hardly the best backdrop!

All comments (both good and bad) very welcome :D

➡️ Pics:

(Almost) Side on:

IMGP2261.jpg

Control Centre:

IMGP2265.jpg

Built by:

IMGP2263.jpg

Painted by*:

IMGP2264.jpg

Thanks for looking.

MArk

* As this is a repaint I suppose this is not strictly true but it is in keeping with the original style as above ^^

i have to say, i agree with Jez on the m900 build, not sure about a fork though, not sure what i'd put on it. matching wheels this time please ;) who was the Uk painter? i always liked that silver finish :cool:

haggis":1tpt2lo4 said:
does that mean its my turn to buy it back next? ;)

Its not going anywhere again :LOL:

jonnyboy666":1tpt2lo4 said:
i have to say, i agree with Jez on the m900 build, not sure about a fork though, not sure what i'd put on it. matching wheels this time please ;) who was the Uk painter? i always liked that silver finish :cool:

Build is complete. Forks, although only temporary look good, better that the P Bones I had originally :)

Matching wheels are present and correct :)

No idea as to UK painter but the finish is excellent and the dual metallic looks ace in the sunshine.

Pics in a bit :cool:

man that is a nice paintjob. M900 is always cool, and I would definitly keep the skinwalls!!

****Custom Fork Update****

For a long time now the fork(s) on this bike to me have been its let down.

I needed something funky but practical. Step forward international man of frame building mystery ....... Dan Chambers aka danson67.

Dan custom built me these forks to a length of 425mm AtoC which I have found to be a sweet spot for this frame.

Beautifully hand made and custom cut they are a mixture of tubing including columbus.

The legs are brazed into the custom cut upper sleeves :)

Silver soldered retro 10p pieces are a fantastic touch :cool: :cool: :cool:

Many thanks to Dan - they are the perfect missing piece.

➡️ Pics:

IMGP2754.jpg

IMGP2748.jpg

IMGP2751.jpg

IMGP2752.jpg

IMGP2753.jpg

Still need to work out reach and stem height.

I have decided to replace the Syncros bits with modern Thomson parts. Some folk aren't going to like this but I want the bike to be a rider.

Nice forks, think they really suit the bike.

Does that mean the Syncros stem is for sale now? ;)

Back