1999 Santa Cruz Chameleon...major update. Rebuild Nr 2 (p4)

Not too much more progress because the SX has darined funds somewhat this month....

I have polished up the Bomber's that I bought from Pink Bike, but am pretty disappointed with them really; I knew that the finish had corroded / tarnished somewhat, but I wasn't prepated for the areas where the ali has flaked away (see pics below). The dilema now is to stick with them to get the bike built or to ditch them and source something else. Hmmmm.

The only good news is that the top caps clear the downtube. However, sourcing a 20mm conversion kit for the Big 'Uns the bike came with is proving impossible, so this may force my hand somewhat. These forks were never meant for this bike, but I got some 03 Z1 FR's for my P1 at a price that was too low to resist!

If anyone has or knows someone with a 20mm conversion kit for a front Big 'Un please give me a shout.

Anyway, a few more pics.

DSC03689.jpg

DSC03690.jpg

DSC03692.jpg

DSC03693.jpg

DSC03694.jpg

DSC03695.jpg

Hopefully, next time round I will have sorted the custom decals with Gil_M. I have also decided that the pink headset is going, so will replace that with a blue Hope one to match the seat QR.

Thanks for looking.

ChrisR":yt6ajrua said:
Lovely looking bikes. The 'dale and the Santa cruz!

Look forward to seeing the rebuild!

Cheers buddy - may take a while though due to shortage of funds, especially if I do end up changing the forks due to issues with the Big Un.

You have done a fantastic job so far Sir, Going to look gorgeous with original decals back on it. I adore the Chameleon frames.

There will be a few pics updates due shortly, but in the last week I have sourced:

Black Hope Headset
Race Face Deus XC Cranks (bargain from e-bay)
Race Face post
Charge Laddle saddle
Lime green Z1's from e-bay....no steerer, but the nailed Z1's I bought will be used for that...
Lock on grips

And hopefully a set of original Mini's - just waiting for an e-mail to sort payment out.

All that is left now is bash ring, 5 bolt rear rotor, cables and Hope skewers. I'll also clean up the cassette, chain and wheels and swap the Kujo's for some lighter tyres.

Gil M is hopefully going to send over a proof of the decals today so I'll get them ordered too.

Looking forward to getting this finished now. I can finish my P1 then!

Cheers

Bit of an update....

Headset fitted, post fitted but am not sure it is the right size as it seems very tight (I was convinced that the earlier Chameleons were 27.2m as my previous one was), saddle fitted, bars and stem fitted along with grips. The blue seat collar didn't look right so is now for sale and will be replaced with a black one.

Forks will hopefully be here on Monday - pair of lime green Drop Offs (hence the grips).

Will get some more pics up once the forks are here, which means I'll be able to fit the wheels.

DSC03726.jpg

DSC03723.jpg

Ah, so you got the Z1s? I was sat there thinking they'd go for next to nowt with them having no steerer as I was going to bang in a bid for them as I need to rebuild my BAMs.

Out of interest, are you selling the polished Z1s? Might be interested... PM me a price ;)

Dave

Latest posts

Back