Orange Clockwork - 93/94?

Stodgy

Retro Guru
Hi,

I've had this frame a few months and have slowly, very slowly, been collecting bits. Mainly DX and the like. Got some lovely Orange stuff to go on it too - stem, bars and seatpost - but I think thery're from a slightly newer C16R, but don't tell anyone.

The reason I started this is because I commented on this thread and it was suggested I post photos to identify the year of the frame:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208844

Anybody with any ideas?

Don't hold your breath for the build, but it will eventually get done.

The frame has a bit of surface rust. Not sure if I should try and treat it and patch it up, or just leave it with a bit of prevention in place.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 894
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 894
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 894
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 894
  • photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 894
Clockwork

That looks tidy. Looks like a 93.
Make sure you use a proper internal barrel bolt for the seat post, external QR's or bolt ups, twist the lugs inwards and permenatly twist the lugs.
Looking forward to seeing this built up :cool: :cool:

Re: Clockwork

Wold Ranger":1cxe8vox said:
That looks tidy. Looks like a 93.
Make sure you use a proper internal barrel bolt for the seat post, external QR's or bolt ups, twist the lugs inwards and permenatly twist the lugs.
Looking forward to seeing this built up :cool: :cool:
Could you explain this to someone who knows little about this, and had just bought a QR for my seat post so I can make easy adjustments while I get used to the bike. ( Either on this thread or PM if you don't want to pollute this )
See pic for what I have bought.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!k0E67ynY32KBOyBqh!2zw~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqF,!k0E67ynY32KBOyBqh!2zw~~60_12.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 858
Please polute as I was just about to ask the same question!
Thanks for bringing it up.
As for frame, tidy in places, but rough in others, but structurally good.

Nice frame you've got there. I can't make out all of the serial number, but the beginning appears to be A304, which means the frame was built in April 1993. I would take that to mean that it is a 1993 model, but perhaps from a batch made towards the end of 1993 production. It has 1993ish features like the sculpted top of the seat tube, and the decals are also 1993ish.

sthodgson":2xcfv91p said:
Hi,

I've had this frame a few months and have slowly, very slowly, been collecting bits. Mainly DX and the like. Got some lovely Orange stuff to go on it too - stem, bars and seatpost - but I think thery're from a slightly newer C16R, but don't tell anyone.

The reason I started this is because I commented on this thread and it was suggested I post photos to identify the year of the frame:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208844

Anybody with any ideas?

Don't hold your breath for the build, but it will eventually get done.

The frame has a bit of surface rust. Not sure if I should try and treat it and patch it up, or just leave it with a bit of prevention in place.

Thats identical to my old 93.....much prefer the purple decals to the 94's floro orange ones....they may have to go!

A304 = 1993 April :D

Very nicew looking forward to the build :) just remember to keep up with the up-dates,

Jussa :)

Thanks for identifying year for me, guys. April 93 it is then. I remember it well.

Does anyone know what the internal barrel adjuster is that was mentioned for the seatpost? I was planning on putting a bolt on there, not a quick release but don't want to damage it.

Think i'll just treat the worst bit of rust and get it going and not worry too much about getting it perfect - It will be another 19 years before it's finished otherwise.
Sam

Latest posts

Back