Restoration pictures

Rusty Scrubber":250jjp6z said:
Cheers for the kind words lads.

I have a few different restorations complete, and about to start, so maybe I'lll share another one when I get a minute.

That would be cool. What do you have planned next?

theproudhighway":34okga0j said:
Rusty Scrubber":34okga0j said:
Cheers for the kind words lads.

I have a few different restorations complete, and about to start, so maybe I'lll share another one when I get a minute.

That would be cool. What do you have planned next?

I need to sell to fund further projects, so will probably get shut of the mountain bikes I've built, and then start on a Triumph Trafficmaster.

Was just thinking that Universal looked way too far gone.. reckon most would have tipped it into a skip.

Ace job.. :cool:

By the time I'd bought a new tyre etc I'd have had started to make a loss, so better to let the new owner sort that out.

I didn't replace much on it, maybe the saddle and post, and it needed a new key which the toggle screws in to, but it got new cables, jagwire, and that kind of thing, but it took a load of labour , and painting, and I let it go for a hundred quid, so I certainly didn't make a profit if time is worth anything.

It looked stunning when done though, and for a full restoration with every bolt, cog, and spoke getting attention it was a great learning exercise for me as it was my first Sturmey hub.

I don't do it for the money. Most guys buy and break, where as I buy and build, so I do it the most expensive way lol.

More great work and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I've got a BSA shopper that needs sorting out. Mainly just new tyres because the ones on it have perished. Some light surface rust that needs sorting too.

Question for you: The Sturmey hub seems to slip, sort like the pawls aren't engaging (if they even have pawls?) Is it easy to remedy this? Never worked on a sturmey hub before.

theproudhighway":3qchk6of said:
More great work and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I've got a BSA shopper that needs sorting out. Mainly just new tyres because the ones on it have perished. Some light surface rust that needs sorting too.

Question for you: The Sturmey hub seems to slip, sort like the pawls aren't engaging (if they even have pawls?) Is it easy to remedy this? Never worked on a sturmey hub before.

In simple terms without fancy names: If it's slipping try tightening the cable slightly with the adjustment barrel, and be sure the end of the cable nipple is seated correctly in the selector next to your brakes.

The indicator spindle is the chained rod that screws into the hubs key, and comes out of the Sturmey wheel nut. Where the chain ends and the rod starts, you want the rod to be a tad more than level with the hole in the nut (peep hole).

Some advise it to be protuding a few mm, but the idea is to be able to get it into 1st gear without having to break the selector arm.

http://workingoncycles.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -gear.html

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-arc ... adjustment

Damn,its about bikes :cry:

I thought we might be covering antique restoration or vintage mini clubman estates :D

But not so :x

Back