alpinestars cromega, updated 9/12/12 page3

almost makes me want to dig mine out of the shed maybe we should have a starzs only ride ?

Attachments

• A-Star 2.JPG
    A-Star 2.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 608
thought i'd do a little update to this as it's currently all finished . . . for now.

i was gonna ride it at mayhem for the night lap but that didn't happen because of the awful conditions.

it took a while to find some brake mounts for the fork but as usual ebay did the business. rides really nice, much prefer the look of it now and feels much less of a lash up build. if the steerer on the manitou ever gets sorted i'll look at getting those fitted, unfortunately it's become a lay by job for the guy that has it :roll: but once that is done it should look and feel pretty good.

:D

Attachments

• cro3.jpg
    cro3.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 536
  • cro2.jpg
    cro2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 536
  • cro1.jpg
    cro1.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 536
Really nice job, so nice to see these frames brought back to life
Will put some pictures of mine up soon now its finished :D

Just recived one of these, near enough a full bike. Was karma'd me by someone on another forum. Hence why all my threads about 1 1/4" stuff. Think I may have some manitous sorted for it :) and I am going threadless on it. Paint is tatty so I am having it redone. Im going for a more modern look on it.

these are one of the few retro bikes that i feel benefit from both a retro or modern build.
loved the look of these ever since coming across them on this forum. would happily trade my existing rigid for one of these - although i would be in constant fear- at the back of my mind- of finding that dreaded crack in one of the stays/dropouts - it'd break my heart :(

twain":2e38oyr9 said:
...although i would be in constant fear- at the back of my mind- of finding that dreaded crack in one of the stays/dropouts - it'd break my heart :(

Doubt you'd have that problem with a cro-mega ;)

little update to this,

a while ago i got the matching fork, had it painted then needed to cut the thread, which i have done today so then it was fit the fork/headset and stem.

i have also put some xt v brakes on it. not in keeping model year wise i know but as they were spare from my proflex (changed to maguras) and i didn't have a cable hanger for the headset i decided to pop them on as it gives more stopping power and it doesn't brake my canti hanger rule as the the frame and stem don't have hangers. i think it now has a really nice clean look.

i am interested to see how it rides now as the rc31 was 420 a-c and the correct fork is 400 a-c, i liked it with the rc31 but wanted the right fork in there.

also in regards to stevo's comment above, this frame i believe was cracked, where the e-stay meets the seat tube at the back on the small bridging bit of tubes, also around the seat clamp (but i think that was pure hamfistedness from the original owner) the cracks etc were sorted out when sinnett got if from the original owner (i collected and posted it to him) it all looks neat and tidy though and i have no qualms about giving it some welly! :D

Attachments

• ascr2.jpg
    ascr2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 327
  • ascr1.jpg
    ascr1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 327
Back