26er or 29er

Ha @ Fad!

Would be very interested in trying a 29er, although am quite short 5ft 8ish and was led to believe that they don't scale down in size well, with compromises in geometry/reach/overlap etc, happy to be proved wrong though.

I agree - as a couple of inches shorter than you, even my road bike has toe overlap. To get a big 29er wheel to fit that makes for a rather stretched frame.
If you are closer to 6 foot then I think it makes a lot of sense.

One of my pals rides a GT Peace 9er rigid singlespeed - I ride a 26er rigid singlespeed. His just rolls away from me downhill...

I've not ridden a 29er but I was suprised at how few were being ridden at Mountain Mayhem at the weekend!!

I wonder why?

tintin40":2k7csavu said:
26 always. 29er is just a passing 'fad' from the USA

+1

I've had both. 26er is your best technical all rounder 29er if you want to ride around a paddock ;)
Some riders are diametrically challanged and use 29 inch wheels to compensate in other areas :LOL:
But seriously test riding both is the best way, people get pretty hot under the collar on this topic and all you'll have is a stuborn bunch of geezers bangin heads for 8 pages.

You're right I need a test ride but it may be difficult to test ride an on-one... anyone around bucks got one?

Swinging to the 26", I only have room for one MTB bike really along with the tandem, road and SS. So I think it's going to have to be a 26", more versitile, I like riding technical XC so better suited to me until I get myself a larger shed or garage.

thanks for all the advice

I wouldn't discount the 29er because you need something for technical riding. In fact I'd recommend it. The big wheel I feel helps in tech situations, because of the roll the front end stalls or hooks up alot less. For instance if you are riding through a rock garden the wheel is less likely to fall into spaces between obstacles. And if your taking on steep ledges by riding them the front wheel rolls out of it alot easier than a 26inch one. Of course you'd need to define technical a bit more.

Yeah i've read over and over again that they soak up the bumps better and are more forgiving but what I really want is modern bike that I get on and just enjoy immediately. I'm sure i'd love the 29er and will most definitely get one at some point but I'll stick with a 26 for now...

Now just to choose a frame?!!?

Back