Not retro, but advice needed please

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm going to get myself a new steed on the NHS Cycle to Work scheme. I live in the Vale of Glamorgan, where we literally have hundreds and hundreds of miles worth of quiet country lanes, so I figured I'd treat myself to a new road bike and dip my toe into the "Dark Side".. ;)

I'm not going to do anything competitive, and as I'm new to it all, I'd be looking at getting a bike with a triple chainset up front (for the time-being anyway). I want to spend £1,000 as I can afford the salary sacrifice, and would save quite a bit of money on the bike if I did it via the C2W scheme.

I've narrowed my choice down to either a Cube Peloton Race (£999 with 105 groupset, Easton wheels and Ultegra Rear Mech):

peloton-race-3f.jpg

Or a Moda Rubato (£999 with American Classic Wheels, but Mechs/Shifters/Brakes which I've never heard of!):

11ModaRubato.jpg

Both bikes receive great reviews and I understand that the frame on the Cube isn't quite as good as the one on the Moda. However the spec of the Cube seems to be considerably better (and it looks nicer - yes I'm fickle :oops: )...

To be honest, I wouldn't really look to 'upgrade' any of the bits on it, so the 'buy the one with the best frame' theory doesn't really apply in this case, especially as there's so little between the two in terms of quality. I'm going to use the bike for 12 months, and if I really enjoy road cycling then I'd look to upgrade the whole thing, rather than specific bits.

Has anyone got any experience of either of these 2 bikes?

Please don't make any alternative suggestions - These are the 2 bikes I've narrowed it down to and I've looked at the alternatives from Trek, Focus, Felt, Generalized, Ghost and Mekk.

From a cosmetic point of view I don't like sloping top tubes........looks like you have thrown a brick trough Mothercare's window and nicked a bike.

Cube is certainly the largest manufacturere but Moda stuff (like the stretto) usually gets good rep. Americal Classic wheels also meant to be good.

I'd personally but the one you think looks best in the circumstances :D

Shaun

Midlife":117q64kj said:
From a cosmetic point of view I don't like sloping top tubes........looks like you have thrown a brick trough Mothercare's window and nicked a bike.

Cube is certainly the largest manufacturere but Moda stuff (like the stretto) usually gets good rep. Americal Classic wheels also meant to be good.

I'd personally but the one you think looks best in the circumstances :D

Shaun

Because there's so little to choose between the two, I think it comes down to something as simple as looks, like you say :)

I think I'd be happier with the Cube as I think it looks lovely and the Easton wheels aren't exactly poop..! If I bought the Moda I'm sure I'd love the way it rode, but I'd keep looking at it and wishing I'd bought the Cube I reckon!

Do your sums carefully - CTW only really worth it for 40% tax payers as you can probably get a better deal on "last years" model or from ribble / planet X.

PS You sure you need the triple? Double gives just as good a spread most of the time as you can use all the gears.

Are you sure you'll save money on the NHS C2W scheme? I only ask because following the rule change recently people on our scheme (also NHS) had to pay a hefty final amount to keep the bike. In the end savings were only a few pounds.

As for which bike I've no experience of either but the 105 brake/gear levers looks better than the MicroShift ones on the Moda.

Mark.

daccordimark":2zbithco said:
Are you sure you'll save money on the NHS C2W scheme? I only ask because following the rule change recently people on our scheme (also NHS) had to pay a hefty final amount to keep the bike. In the end savings were only a few pounds.

As for which bike I've no experience of either but the 105 brake/gear levers looks better than the MicroShift ones on the Moda.

Mark.

My monthly salary sacrifice would be £83.33 gross, or £53.66 net.

I've been given a breakdown of the calculations (using my actual salary and tax code of 810L) and I'd end up paying £763.92. This is comprised of 12 payments of £53.66 (£643.92), plus the £120 additional payment at the end of the scheme.

I'd save £235.08 as both bikes retail for £999 :)

was8v":2kd2pyb3 said:
Do your sums carefully - CTW only really worth it for 40% tax payers as you can probably get a better deal on "last years" model or from ribble / planet X.

PS You sure you need the triple? Double gives just as good a spread most of the time as you can use all the gears.

See my reply above ;)

Regarding the Triple/Double option - I might go for a double if the shop has one, but the Cube is currently VERY difficult to get hold of in the size I need (53cm - very common size!), and out of all of the bike shops I've tried, only one has the bike in stock so I'll take whichever one they've got! There isn't a single bike shop in Cardiff or any of the surrounding areas which has a 53cm in stock, and the only shop I could find which was a member of the scheme, and which had one in stock was Climb On in Hereford which is about 65 miles away.. I don't mind going to pick it up, though.

Also, I know that there are cheaper bikes out there, and usually I'd go for one of last years (or the year before) models to either save a bit of cash or get a bit better kit for my cash - however a lot of shops don't offer sale bikes (which would cover last years models) on the C2W scheme - only non-sale full priced ones.

i'd prefer the cube for what you say you'll use it for. you said you're new to road bikes and the cube looks to have a slightly less racey position. also the groupset is shimano, far more reliable in my opinion and personally i think more intuitive shifting wise. also i know the american classic wheels are light but when i was in the trade i saw some issues with their rear hubs which put me off.

also the cube has a triple chainset which if you have hills local to you might be more use than the race ratio gears on the moda.

That Planet X is very nice, and they do participate in the C2W scheme. However I would have to pay 12.5% of the total value of the bike (ie. £131.13 ish) up front. I've just read their terms and conditions ;)

I don't have any money at the moment, otherwise I'd seriously consider it!

Back