My MBK Super Speed 12

ginllfixit

Devout Dirtbag
I bought this fairly recently as my introduction to road biking. Really like it, but know next to nothing about the bike/brand. I understand the Motobecane brand was bought my an American company and they started selling MBKs?

If anyone could tell me anything about this it's be appreciated!

Untitled-1.jpg

Welcome to the site! Top marks for the best username so far...

I should know more about this living in France, but I don't. I always thought MBK were a sort of updated Motobecane. Saw a very nice MBK in Reynolds 653 a while ago, almost weakened, but it was slightly too big... More pictures of your bike would be good!

Ha, it's become my go-to username for most sites now!

Yeah, I bought it from a guy in Warrington - just wanted something that worked to see how I took to cycling as I hadn't been on a bike since I was a kid.

I've neglected it since I bought it in the cleaning department, but hoping to strip it down this week and give it a good clean. Actually, that's what I was going to try and find out - is there a guide to stripping down/cleaning bikes on this site?

On the frame it says 'HI_TENSILE 707 TUBING'?

Like I say, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to all this but I'll get some new photos up when it's shiny(ish) again.

Hi-tensile steel is nothing special but if you're limited for funds and the bike fits you there's nothing to stop you replacing components with higher quality stuff as you go along. The wheels will make the biggest difference. There's no guide to stripping bikes as such though I'm sure Google can help you out. Magazines often have maintenance features too.

For reference, Google Sheldon Brown and give youself an hour or ten to go through his site, loads of information on there.

That's strange, I Googled 'hi tensile 707 tubing' and stumbled across this Sheldon Brown chap, bookmarked his website!

I was thinking of picking up a cheap Reynolds 531 or similar and having a go at putting something together, so I can still use the MBK to commute whilst that's going on.

Cheers for the advice!

You can get good 531 frames for very little - look for 531 on eBay and don't be worried about going for brands you've never heard of. Although Raleigh, Peugeot etc. are good bets. Also do some research on 531 as there are different types and frame builds - some frames are all 531, some are just the three main tubes, some are sturdier (touring) 531.

Next - get friendly with your bank manager, and buy the wife some flowers... :roll: It's only as expensive a hobby as you make it (and it needn't be expensive at all) but many of us get quite, erm, enthusiastic. I got back into cycling from motorycling (still have a motorbike though) a couple of years ago. I now have 10 bicycles and a wife who wonders where it will end. :twisted:

ginllfixit":22gujzib said:
I understand the Motobecane brand was bought my an American company and they started selling MBKs?
Motobecane used to be one of the largest manufacturers of bicycles and motorcycles, i do beleive Raleigh was actually the biggest.

"Moto" is French for motorcycle = "becane" is French for "bike" = Motobecane.

High quality Motobecane frame-sets were actually made by Peugeot !

After bankruptcy in late 1984, the company was reconstituted in the USA as MBK which only lasted for about six month's and pronounced their bikes as "em-bay-kah."

Then MBK came back to the French in late 1985 and now only produce MBK mopeds/electric scooters.

The Motobecane trademark was revived again in the USA but the current production Motobecanes are made in the Far East have no connection with France aside from the name.

All rather confusing :roll:

IR

Rich34":2zao0hcn said:
Welcome to the site! Top marks for the best username so far...

I should know more about this living in France, but I don't. I always thought MBK were a sort of updated Motobecane. Saw a very nice MBK in Reynolds 653 a while ago, almost weakened, but it was slightly too big... More pictures of your bike would be good!

As far as I understand when the moped & cycle part of Motobecane went their own ways, the cycle part was badged as MBK[ Don`t know if the bikes were built in house or farmed out] [Another of they pesky Brits residing in France]

Back