just picked this up

David B":2d423qvt said:
Old Ned":2d423qvt said:
Probably not a bad buy. Most likely mid/late 90's with the early 8 speed 600 STI's. Like you say, the seller sounds as if he didn't know a lot - 'maverick 40' rims!

+1, looks decent value to me. Although most of the kit is 600, looks from one of the pics as though the hubs are DA [1], which is a bonus.

David

[1] Despite my borderline obsession with obscure Euro road components, even I like Dura-Ace hubs. Got a rear one on the 'cross bike - smooth and fuss-free.

The front and rear hubs are Dura ace but the rear also has intergrated 8 SIS stamped on it if that means anything?

Looks like a decent buy to me.

Shimano on a classic italian frame though :shock:

Although I have Shimano 600 on my day to day rider and it's very good, I'm definitely a Campag fan.

Gazz the rear hubs are likely to be the 8 speed HG/UG dual use hubs. I've pretty much the same wheelset and you can have both the standard HG cassette (so up to 10 speed, maybe 11?) plus it will also have the end section threaded for the older style UG cassttes where the last cog is threaded and used as the lockring.
check out the venerable SB about a third of the way down.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Re: Value

Old Ned":2lf7x7dr said:
Here's a comment taken from Bikeforums -

'Classic1 is right about Paganini being a house brand of Plum Vainqueur (Gent, Belgium); the frames were made by Torpado (Italy).'

Here's another quote from Bikeforums -

'just to let you know that Humphries Bicycle Shop in Dublin Ireland bought the rights to build and sell Paganini road bikes a number of years ago.'

Dated 2009 - so just where does the OP's bike actually come from?!

Someone else thought they could have been CIOCC frames.

Back