raleigh mustang

bb30, never even heard of that, but after looking into it that looks like a good idea. shame the bandwagon isnt being jumped on?

Wow, an interesting looking project.

Are we missing something here though? You have managed to fit a fork with a 11/8" steerer into a head tube for 1" diameter???

erm, any chance of a bit more info on this? Could this not solve a huge number of problems that people on here have getting forks to fit frames???

Am I over-reacting?

Good work buddy
Tim

Its brilliant.

Could do with more of that kind of daft sh*t on here and less of the 'M900 and disc wheel' nonsense :)

at last, somebody thinking out-side the box.

in theory it would answer alot of compatability issues, but remember that raleigh used the 1 inch headset dimensions intended for bmx, rather than the dimensions borrowed from road bikes. so, this will only work with bmx's, or raleigh mustangs/lizards/marauders

the 1-1/8 steerer tube measures at 28.6mm, and will obviously fit through a 1-1/8 headset, but will also fit through a 1 inch headset from a bmx which has an bore size of appx 29 - 29.5mm. its a close run thing, but by using really small bearings, (i used the ones that i rebuild bmx freewheels with) it all fits together. (winky i am sure knows what size they are. 1/8?)

but, and heres the thing, itll probably only last a few rides before it wears out. i will keep you posted though.

oh, before i forget, camera is on charge, so will take some fotos tomorrow, as i have changed a few bits, and have already promised some close ups.......

1/8 of an inch balls is the correct diameter. my estimate on the life of the 'Heinz 57 Headset'? 10 mins. give or take 10 mins!

rite, proper update now, with fotos and everything!

postman pat brought some goodies yesterday, so after fitting we have some piccies. the front brake makes most impact on how it rides, now it hardly slows down at all. the bars have also been trimmed down 40mm at each end, it now feels like a pushbike rather than a mo'bike.
headset seems to be holding up so far, still smooth.

ridden it home tonight(mostly uphill) so should wake me up on the way to work in the morning!

Latest posts

Back