Carbon or Titanium... the impossible choice.

Obviously not that many people buying them then, maybe they're worried about low end carbon letting go?

For cosmetic longevity it has to be Ti surely? Can only imagine what a carbon MTB frame would look like after 5 or more years use.

To be honest if I was buying again now, I'd more than likely go for decent steel instead of Ti or Carbon.

Carbon bike frame? Scary.

Ok for mudguards and car dashboard trim I guess, but sit on it and ride it when gravity has got the better of me?

Besides, you can't even decorate it with fridge magnets

Dickyboy":2in1t83x said:
For cosmetic longevity it has to be Ti surely? Can only imagine what a carbon MTB frame would look like after 5 or more years use.

To be honest if I was buying again now, I'd more than likely go for decent steel instead of Ti or Carbon.

+1

I think a high end steel frame has got to be better than a low rent carbon frame.

Ti is amazing stuff, keeps it's looks over the years no matter how much abuse. My 93 Hei Hei proved that, still looks new even after all this time!

Interesting thread
I’m wondered whether things have changed in 11 years since this discussion ?

On a ti bike, this would be a little scratch. Would you trust this carbon frame?View attachment 692536
Oooh nooooooo!!!!!

How will these über expensive frames fare as Retrobikes in 15 years time
I always wondered why RB 98 section has hardly any UCI WTB World Cup winning carbon bikes from the 00ies and 10’s and more recent - probably all wrecked

I think most carbon bikes, especially hardtails look really ugly. Give me straight tubes every day of the week.

Other opinions will vary

Back