Stripping anodizing?

Take them to an anodizer and ask them to strip it. The right should would do it for beer or charge you ~$30 USD over here.

I'm OVER stripping paint and ano myself.

As cheap as it is, i need it to be free really haha! Either that or to trade for the right colour parts.

Why dont you like doing it anymore? Not worth the effort?

Ive just stripped the hope tech X2 parts[lever blades,lids,bore caps] to be re-anodized by Rapmage.
The original colour is black and i used a powdered drain cleaner product i got from the poundshop.2 sachets for a quid is good and this stuff really works :cool:
I cant find it again but as its super cheap try to local 'fancy goods' type corner shop
All you do is empty one sachet into a GLASS bowl and add a cup of cold water,couldnt be simpler.

I used a bent spoke to dip each part in for about 15 seconds then dipped it quickly into a basin of water to stop the reaction.
Solution->water->solution->water and so on till it JUST turns black,you'll see the ano come off as it drips and shoogle it in the water.
When you lift it out the cleaner so even if the original ano is black youll see the change.
Word of note-Leave it in the stripper too long and it will begin to dissolve the part completely, so the 15 sec/repeat method works best.

Clean the blacking off with a soft cloth and some autosol.Scratches will need to be addressed after that as its easier to see how it looks polished first.Could mean polishing it twice but its worth it to get the mirror finish i think the anodizer needs it to be :?

Any help needed just buzz me :cool:

Start with the red bits .That will be your learning curve and you'll see how the changes happen and what you do and how long it would take of the dipping process to clean it off

The stuff I use dosent send stuff black. I tend to wear some rubber gloves and use an old toothbrush to speed it up and rinse off soon as the colours gone. Leaves a lovely clean look to the ally.

poweredbypies":b3jvk6qf said:
The stuff I use dosent send stuff black. I tend to wear some rubber gloves and use an old toothbrush to speed it up and rinse off soon as the colours gone. Leaves a lovely clean look to the ally.

I have skin like leather :LOL: Well i do now :LOL: :LOL: Got to be careful with the brush though,sends it everywhere ;) Its like everything,learning curve because no matter how many replies youre on yer own when it comes to do it.
PS Open a window or do it outside ;)

Oven Pride - Oven and BBQ cleaner is what I use. Works a treat. Brush it on evenly, watch it fizz up white, rinse off with water, polish with autosol. For any rough areas under the ano, sand with 600 grit, repeat with autosol.

theproudhighway":14fw1hso said:
Oven Pride - Oven and BBQ cleaner is what I use. Works a treat. Brush it on evenly, watch it fizz up white, rinse off with water, polish with autosol. For any rough areas under the ano, sand with 600 grit, repeat with autosol.

+1 for this way....used it on my Hope Skewers...works a treat!

:cool:

The cranks- i'm fairly sure they arn't anodised. i've been asked to strip a set before. Also if you do strip them you can't re-anodise them, the push in axle is steel - a big no no. The rest? p'm me, i can get them sorted for you.

Back