I've been spoilt by modern gears :D Gazelle content

Jones

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My Gazelle just turned up :cool: so even though there's a nice fine drizzle coming down at the moment I couldn't resist a quick spin :D

I've never succumbed to a compact chainset so I haven't been spoilt completely but even so :shock: 5 speed and a lowest gear of 42 x 17 is a bit of a shock to the system with the hills around here :LOL:

Its going on this weekends club run though even if it will kill me :LOL: 110 miles planned for Sunday so it may well kill me :LOL:

p.s yes saddle is pointing upwards :LOL: and new hoods arriving any day now ;)

ga1-1.jpg

Nice bike, looks similar to the Raleigh Gran Sport I used to lust after in the early 80s.

There's nothing to stop you putting a 13-23 freewheel on there to help up the hills. When you say "spoilt by modern gears" do you mean integrated brake and gear levers?

Good luck with the 110 mile club run - that's quite a mileage.

Mark.

By Modern Gears I think the OP means pretty much a granny gear for grinding up hills................compact :D

Shaun

Yes I've got too used to 39 x 25 :LOL: most people around here ride compact but I'll leave that until I'm a little older ;)

I might be wishing I had 39 x 25 when I'm grinding up Rhigos and the Bwlch for the second time on Sunday though :LOL:

daccordimark":8hk0ceoc said:
do you mean integrated brake and gear levers?

Thankyou for not saying br*fters. I bloody hate that word.

Anyway, 17 as the lowest gear? In Wales? What kind of psycho hardman did you buy it from?

I have a wheel at home with a 5 speed freewheel that has some weird combination like 28-21-17-14-12. It belonged to a Belgian ex-racer. If you can find the sprockets, you can put whatever combination together I suppose.

Johnny

Try and find a shop that has a maillard freewheel board with all the sprockets on.....and mix your own.

Bought it from the Netherlands, I guess they don't have many hills there :LOL: I'll put a 23 on it eventually but I'll enjoy the pain for a while :LOL:

Tenby Ironman in September so I need to get used to a bit of pain anyway ;)

Midlife":3exjdh19 said:
By Modern Gears I think the OP means pretty much a granny gear for grinding up hills................compact :D

Shaun

I see, nothing new in granny gears though.

jones":3exjdh19 said:
Yes I've got too used to 39 x 25 most people around here ride compact but I'll leave that until I'm a little older.

I might be wishing I had 39 x 25 when I'm grinding up Rhigos and the Bwlch for the second time on Sunday though.

42/17 up those hills?!!! I'd be struggling on my 39/26 - you must truly be an Ironman! Chapeau!!

Mark.

markyp":qyszqrh9 said:
Try and find a shop that has a maillard freewheel board with all the sprockets on.....and mix your own.

Mastercraft Cycles in Hereford used to last time I popped in (1997)....wonder if it's still there (the sprocket board I mean, shop itself still seems to be going strong)?

David

not sure if mastercraft still have them.
I got mine from Coombes cycles (in Hereford).....who've just moved (next door),

Latest posts

Back