Mechanical question...

deelam

Retro Guru
Hi, does anyone know of any easy and accurate ways of straightening up a derailleur hanger? The bike I shipped from the states got a whack on the way over. nothing major but it is affecting shifting. (Steel Kilauea).
(I've tried the mole-grips-by-eye method but it's just not accurate enough.)

Thanks!

Most good shops will have the tool. It screws into the hanger and has a big bar on it and is a sure fire way of getting it spot on. If not I always used an adjustable spanner, much better than a mole wrench.

deelam":13ayqlxd said:
Hi, does anyone know of any easy and accurate ways of straightening up a derailleur hanger? The bike I shipped from the states got a whack on the way over. nothing major but it is affecting shifting. (Steel Kilauea).
(I've tried the mole-grips-by-eye method but it's just not accurate enough.)

Thanks!

try if the front wheel axle thread fits into the hanger. that worked in the past with the solid (non-QR) axles and was a good way to fix it on the trail. not sure if it would work with a QR axle though, the treaded part might be too short. but maybe you have an old front wheel lying around.
the wheel will give you a nice lever and also a good visual aid if the alignment is ok, especially if you leave the rear wheel in and take the tires off. but make sure that the axle fits the hanger thread and sits very solid, otherwise you may damage the threads in the hanger.

Carsten

You can use two axles. One in the dropouts and one in the hanger, align the two and it should be straight(ish) ;)

Back