Kona Kilauea First Build Hack

Re: here goes

jitensha":263yhdmh said:
Anyway, here come the questions I promised. First - whats with these bits on the forks? Theyre part of the headset no? How the hell do I get them off without busting them up?

That's the crown race. You can get a special tool, which pretty much looks like a little pair of forks and which fits front and back of the race while you hit the tool with a hammer.

OR, you can do what most of us do, and put the forks upside down into a vice or workmate. You will see that you can get to the race at the front and back of the forks. Take a decent sized punch (not chisel), place it on the race and give the punch a couple of taps with a hammer. Then move the punch to the back and repeat, then move the punch to the front and repeat.....

Don't give it a big whack, that will just make the job harder. A couple of decent taps, then move etc and slowly 'wiggle' the race off.

Lovely advice, thank you.

ok, that was a lot easier to do than I expected. Used the same kind of technique with the cups in the frame. Bosh, bosh ping! Wish I had thought about doing this 20 years ago (the bike tinkering I mean, not crown race removal). Oh the years I have wasted! :cool:

Now, how the f** do I get that little chrome coated piece of plastic off the crank arm so I can get at the nut? ..... :LOL:

Well, here it is.

Here are some photos of my first ever build. it goes very well and weighs in at a little over 23lb. I know it's a mish mash of old and new and it cost me more than I was expecting but I'm well chuffed :D :D Thanks to everyone for your help and your parts donations ;)

Matt

Attachments

• kona1.JPG
    kona1.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 646
  • kona2.JPG
    kona2.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 646
  • kona4.JPG
    kona4.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 646
  • kona5.JPG
    kona5.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 646
I would agree with Neil there. It's quite an interesting marriage of elements that weren't born together. A 1994 frame, a 1996 fork (that is geometrically compatible) and 1995-style decals that are not 1995 Kilauea decals (which were silver grey, although some other 95 Konas had yellow decals) - but it all goes together well.

The only thing I disapprove of is the over-long stem. A 1994 size 18 Kilauea came with an 11cm stem, and anything longer is going to take the edge off the steering. Could be what you like though, and it's your bike after all.

Only think I would change is the stem too, but not on account of the length (if it fits, thats fine)... its just that the colour doesnt go. Either same colour as the P2's, gold to match the post, or matched to the frame

Otherwise, its a job well done

G

Not sure about Kona's spec but a non setback post is going to put your weight and position in relation to the BB to far forward if that frame was not designed around it. JMO.....

Loki":2o2pj8y2 said:
Not sure about Kona's spec but a non setback post is going to put your weight and position in relation to the BB to far forward if that frame was not designed around it. JMO.....

Attachments

• 1994 Kilauea catalogue.jpg
    1994 Kilauea catalogue.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 305
Props

Thanks for the props guys. Pleased that it is approved of :D I know what you mean about the stem. That one I had lying around and popped it on temporarily. I think its staying put now though due to the game I had getting the bars into it. Also, I've been finding it quite difficult to get hold of a decent stem that isn't hugely long.

Been toying with the idea of sticking a rack and some panniers on. Got to do it to one of my bikes. It'll probably be the Saracen though. The older I get, the cooler racks and mudguards seem to look.

Oh, and im still waiting on a front wheel that is in the post
;)

Back