Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Yep that is a 1992 Diablo frame and fork.
As above it would've originally had mostly M550 LX components, unless it's a Diablo DX, in which case it would've been M650 DX throughout.

For brakes however it would have had Dia-Compe 985s with SS5 levers. Would also have had DX (MT-62) thumbshifters as standard spec.

Have a look here for all the details: --> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... s.pdf.html

Great info thanks. How can I tell if its a DX or not ? Would the frame number give any clues ? Not got it yet but already deeply engaged in the relatively unknown area of the pre 98 for sale section ! After the Scalpel build search its a whole new world. :) :D

As far as I know, in 1992 the frames were identical between the Diablo and Diablo DX. The only difference being the component spec and the additional DX on the top tube decal.

As far as the colours are concerned, the catalogue shows the Diablo in Blue and the DX in yellow.
I've seen other variations such as white and red but I'm not sure whether these also correspond to either model.

Lastly, I don't think that the frame number will give any clues other than the letter C denoting that its a 1992 frame. We know that already though...

Looks like this one has lost its top tube decal - Gil_M is the man isn't he ?and looking back through this amazing thread seems he may have already got the design.
I really like the red and splatter paint finish on this one its very retro compared to the modern stuff like my Cannondale and Kona but have to say I'd absolutely love one in the blue and yellow team colours. Very cool :cool:
I have a collection of spare parts spare here which I think will have to be used on the build, sadly not going to get close to original spec, for now but will gently steer that way as and when things show up. Will start a build thread once the frameset turns up.

Hi guys,
Just thought I would share a picture of my MT4 Dyna Tech. I paid £500 for the frame and forks in the early 90's and lavished it with XTR components (no kids then!). Still love the way it looks, way cooler than some of the modern stuff. The MT4 had titanium chain stays as well as main tubes. The only issue with it is a fatigue crack in the Mag 20 fork crowns, which I believe was a product recall about twenty years ago! I did actually write to SRAM recently and enquired if they could help me. Never even bothered to reply.

Regards,
Adam.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 898
MT4

That is looking good adape. Killer.

Would love a bare Torus frame to play with.

Further to previous posts..
My '91 Dyna Tech 2070 tubed Mission recently decided to let go at the headstock downtube joint. Am currently using the spare I bought a while back which means I've no spare now, so if anyone has one doing nowt? Please gimme a shout.
I know some people on here have been curious as to bonded joints and heat/chemicals, so I am in a position to offer whoever wants it for postage cost a complete or part frame for experimentation.
Oh and first dibs on that Torus frame you have lurking???????

Dave

Dynatech Ogre

It's been awesome reading through this thread (brought back a lot of great memories) and thought it was only fair to share a picture of my 92 Dynatech Ogre which I have just finished renovating.
Big thanks to Gil for recreating the decals which have just added the finishing touch.

I've had the bike from new and is pretty much original with the exception of the headset and v-brakes. The Scott AT3 bars were fitted soon after I got the bike.

Enjoy,

Col

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 765
Col, just finished my complete rebuild on the dyna tech Diablo DX (check out thread on readers rides if not already) and took it for its first ride today. Really happy with the results. These are great bikes to ride as I am sure you know.

Liking your ogre mate. Very nice.

Jimbog, been watching your Diablo re-build and the finished bike is looking great. It was actually your re-build thread that made me aware of Gil's work on the decals, so thanks.
Your right about them being great bikes, the Ogre was an upgrade from a 32lb+ steel Raleigh Mirage i'd had for a couple of years and the difference in the ride was astounding at the time. Saying that, I've been keeping an eye on ebay for an old Mirage to fix up too.

Need to find the time to get out and ride it now.

Back