Mountain Mayhem 2012 - the Aftermath

mrkawasaki":1548ktna said:
cchris2lou":1548ktna said:
Kestonian":1548ktna said:
RetroBike 4SE (pronounced "Force") 32nd of 180 in 4 Man Sport teams

:)

Great results , really pleased with it . :D

Just remind me what bikes you were riding.... ;-)

We had a Pace RC200 F3 (SS), an RC300, an Explosif and a couple of others where the make and age may have been concealed by the mud :)

Got some time today to put down some proper thoughts from the weekend.
Firstly, thanks to JV (and all others involved) for organising a cracking weekend. Those who got there on Wednesday to get the prime heckling spot are legends too!
I personally enjoyed this Mayhem more than my previous two, despite the horrendous weather and mud.
The banter was world class, Leo did a cracking job on the BBQ on Friday night, the retrobike beer was quality, the Intruder just kept on giving and the retrobike area was the pride of the camp site.
Gump and Mr K did a great job with supplying the sound system, and the smoke machine was genius.
I thoroughly enjoyed spinning some tunes, although the bloke who shouted (from the safety of his tent) 'your music's as shit as your bikes' obviously didn't appreciate drum & bass at midnight on the Friday.

As for the racing...well I didn't do any! I was in the SW 10 man team but made a very wise decision early Sunday am that the bikes should go back on the car...and stay there.
Sorry if I let you down Jonny, but I think I've seen the future...as a spectator!
Special mention for the team on the Isla bikes, and for the humour of the turtles (and remember folks...NEVER push a turtles head!).
We need to recruit those guys to retrobike for next year.
I have some vids to upload, but just some pics for now...

MM12038.jpg

MM12053.jpg

MM12050.jpg

MM12049.jpg

MM12041.jpg

MM12043.jpg

MM12047.jpg

MM12056.jpg

MM12055.jpg

MM12054.jpg

My throat has just about recovered now (no intruder jokes please) and I just have some very muddy turntables and tunes to clean :D

The Guv'nors MM12 Report

Another year, another outstanding Retrobike raid on Mountain Mayhem. The weather may have made the main event a little flat but the retrobike camp was bigger and better than ever –we’ve almost got our own event within an event :cool:
First up some thanks
-All the retrobikers, friends and family for making this is our biggest and best event of the year.
-Bikefood for their excellent support once again. Know the gels, bottles and ‘turbo honey’ were gratefully received.
-Spencer and Church End brewery for the ale. The two barrels which it was hoped would last all weekend were more or less polished off Friday night. Legendary stuff.
-Jon W aka TheGreenRabbit from gingerhorticulture for food and drinks for the Saturday night BBQ.
-Jonnyboy and RekiB for getting their early doors on Weds to grab our great sport.
-EdEdwards for hospitality Thursday.
-DSP and all the team captains for their organisation over the last few weeks.
-The rest of my ten man team aka Retrobike Swiss Family Herring.
-Gump aka DJ App, Makster aka DJ Intruder and MrK aka DJ Bernard for bringing their equipment and spinning tunes at various points over the weekend.
-The coffee van
-Gravy Monster aka James for bringing the bike stand and passing it over at the end.
-DSP for bringing the two event shelters.
-Grannygrinder aka Mike aka Leo Swayer for his mad BBQ skills.
-CK and the other user (doh, forgot name, sorry) for the lighting.
-Heathy
Mayhem for me started fairly early. Spent beautiful sunny days digging out camping equipment, and gazebos out of storage, bbqs, running errarnds, buying generators and packing the car like a giant tetris puzzle.

Weds.
Car finally packed with sufficient room to allow a driver and the gear stick to get all forward gears (reverse an issue). Arrived at Eastnor Weds afternoon in the glorious June sunshine. It seemed almost improbable sitting under the gazebo supping an ale in the late evening sunshine what had been forecast and did indeed come to pass would do. Jonnyboy and RekiB had arrived before me and bagged a great spot which was duly fenced off with barrier tape and laminated signs. The gazebos were pitched and all that remained was to chase off intruders.
The rain finally arrived overnight, awoke at 3 am with rain and wind lashing the tent and a flat airbed. Looked out the tent convinced the gazebos would be blown down (again). They hadn’t but saw someone busy around Jonnyboy’s tent, hoped it was him and went back to sleep.

Thursday
The day arrived and it looked wet - but it hindsight dry. People started to arrive during the day and the campsite slowly filled. The intruder docked mid afternoon. Bailed later in the afternoon to pick some stuff up in Hereford and pike a night under canvas by staying with EdEdwards.
Friday
More rain. Picked up some shopping and got back to Eastnor around lunch. What had seemed an impossibly large area was more or less full with more and more retrobikers arriving all the time – will have to think on for next year :) The beer arrived with Spencer and tunes with Andy and the afternoon and evening commenced. Some of the planned entertainment didn’t quite pan out due to the arduous weather but the BBQ was fired up and plenty of booze and food consumed. The evening went well and the spirit was excellent. This was despite the generator needing maintence work and having to be moved thanks to Bernard Bresslaw poking his head out of his tent and whining about it. Surely if you camp near us you’ll expect some noise – it’s like buying a house under the Heathrow flight path and complaining about aircraft.
carry_on_camping.jpg

Saturday.
The race began. Swiss Family Herring team leader donned his court suit and battle commenced. Three hours later he arrived back with tales of mojitos, teenage mutant ninja turtles, sumo wrestlers and mud.
Despite two soldering iron kits arriving and the valiant efforts of James the megaphone could not be saved. Gus was especially gutted, poor Tad.
Spirit in camp remained good and after a quick amp change the tunes, smoke, beer, bbq and heckling went on late into the night.
Decided I’d do a lap on the Mirage around 19:30 after a window and the heavens opened up. Almost hit the floor riding to the arena, my decision to run the excellent Chen Shin centre ridge tyres seemed less good. First half lap was fine although some climbs were a little trickier than they might have been due to the super long chainstays and tyres. As were the descents. Coming back through the arena and over the bridge great to have the support from the retrobike tent. Second half was much like the first apart from my modern shoe braking it’s Boa lace. On a few occasions I had to back track to pull it from the mud having sunk a socked foot into the mire. Other than that it was fine, even met Chris on his Mirage, when was the last time two 501 Mirages raced Eastnor. Some pushing and river of slurry riding later arrived back to the arena. Most trackside tents seemed subdued, not retrobike, plenty of encouragement (abuse) on the way past. Finally it was over, only 47 mins slower than last year. Quick shower and picked up a well deserved ale. The rain continued. Never did find out if Andy’s 3am meeting came off.

Sunday
More rain. Last few laps completed (including Dave J on his shopper) and heckling . The rb village was packed and people pushed out of the mud to freedom!

All in all an awesome weekend for retrobike. Sadly despite rather than because of the weather, makes it more memorable or something. Bring on 2013 :D

Passing people on the downhills using my mastered technique of only trying to regain control when it REALLY mattered.

Glad this wasnt just me then!

My first and certainly not last MM - loved every minute of it and the mud just added to the whole experience for me.

Did 2 laps one at 3pm and then another heading out into the rain, wind and darkness at 10.30pm on Saturday night - wondering what on earth I was doing having never ridden at night before and would I even come back in one piece.

So glad I went out as it was my favourite lap and highlight of the weekend.

yeah the weather was rubbish, yes it was a tad muddy but hell thats ENDURANCE racing for you - bring on sleepless!

And although I didnt attend with RBike - must says thanks to the heckling and encouragement that I received as I went passed.

Thanks from rider 879 :)

drystonepaul":2dgzy2qm said:
ededwards":2dgzy2qm said:
A shame no-one managed to change the letters over on Mr K's Ritchey Rock Comp rims though......

Missed opportunity indeed...

cockromp.jpg

Think someone was looking for a rim like this in the wanted section...

m1xmag":31wva536 said:
Passing people on the downhills using my mastered technique of only trying to regain control when it REALLY mattered.

Glad this wasnt just me then!

My first and certainly not last MM - loved every minute of it and the mud just added to the whole experience for me.

Did 2 laps one at 3pm and then another heading out into the rain, wind and darkness at 10.30pm on Saturday night - wondering what on earth I was doing having never ridden at night before and would I even come back in one piece.

So glad I went out as it was my favourite lap and highlight of the weekend.

yeah the weather was rubbish, yes it was a tad muddy but hell thats ENDURANCE racing for you - bring on sleepless!

And although I didnt attend with RBike - must says thanks to the heckling and encouragement that I received as I went passed.

Thanks from rider 879 :)

+1

Went out pretty much the same times and although I have done plenty of night riding the visibilty at the top was a real challenge.

A memorable weekend and I reckon I'll be back next year for more.

Not much to add...just a big thankyou to the guv and everyone else who helped out for the weekend. Thanks to Chris (Rekiborter) for herding us Flatlander cats. 30th out of 42 teams...that'll do, "It's not a race, you know!"

Memorable moments:
JB666 in the forefront at the start
Spencer's beer
Makster's DJ set
The steaming Plasticine woods,
Rivers of slop
Having to pedal downhill
Leg-locking cramp in my knees

Getting into a dry sleeping bag at 1.00 in the morning...

Spencer sums it up:

IMG_5832.jpg

All the best,

Have a few MM T-Shirts left if anyone missed out or wants another. PM me before they go in the shop.

Back