Carbon or Titanium... the impossible choice.

Must admit I've found a few broken 456 inbreds. A few VN but no lynksey.

Only one possible cracked 456 though. On the bottom of the down tube head tube joint. Looked like it was a laquer only mark.

IWish":2gedi9tg said:
So I'm looking at buying a new bike. Something I can live with all the time.

It has to be titanium then, you can't make traffic lights change with a carbon bike!!! :LOL:

Russell":3m12jryj said:
I can find numerous examples of broken titanium 456 frames, including at least one on this forum.

I've been unable to find one broken carbon 456.

Considering it is so less resilient and more fragile, thats odd... don't you think?

So we can assume that your subjective analysis overrides a general consensus?

I was not referring to specific frames, was I?

Now make a valid comparison if you can.

Jeez.

I've never owned a carbon MTB so can't comment.

I've ridden a few and been underwhelmed though - but how much of it is to do with the material and how much is to do with the rest of the bike - I couldn't possibly say.

You don't see many broken ti frames because not many people buy them. The opposite is true of carbon. I have also seen plenty of broken steel and alloy frames in my life.

But the environmental issue is worth considering (says the owner of 2 carbon road bikes and umpteen Pace forks!)

I'm not sure how much damage the environment will get from one more frame. Espescially when you consider the goodness for it with cycling. ;)

highlandsflyer":1n9nt2tk said:
Russell":1n9nt2tk said:
I can find numerous examples of broken titanium 456 frames, including at least one on this forum.

I've been unable to find one broken carbon 456.

Considering it is so less resilient and more fragile, thats odd... don't you think?

So we can assume that your subjective analysis overrides a general consensus?

I was not referring to specific frames, was I?

Now make a valid comparison if you can.

Jeez.

You might not have been considering specific frames but the OP was, and my point was directed at him, not you.

He is mulling between a carbon and a titanium 456.

Some have raised the point that they believe carbon to be less resilient or more fragile.

I merely pointed out that the titanium version of the frame appears to be the more fragile or less resilient, given the (albeit, subjective and anecdotal evidence) view of users on the 'net.

There are lots of people that don't like carbon frames, and plenty more that don't like On-One. You would think that if the carbon 456 was prone to breakage, people would be posting pictures and gloating or you would be able to find numerous examples of broken frames very quickly... you can't.

When discussing carbon vs titanium, I'm not sure how much more valid a comparison you can make than between two frames, designed by the same person, with identical geometry with the same type of use in mind.

I spray a lot of carbon frames and I can honestly say from experience after a seasons use they look battered compared to steel and Titanium

AndyPA":gqszjcrg said:
I spray a lot of carbon frames and I can honestly say from experience after a seasons use they look battered compared to steel and Titanium

Yep, had some Noir carbon cranks and they looked s**t even after a few muddy rides.

Carbon 456 newer than the Ti version so surely impossible to compare the breakages of the two.

Personally I'd save up and go high end steel over either.

Neil G":3ayyqdqk said:
AndyPA":3ayyqdqk said:

Yep, had some Noir carbon cranks and they looked s**t even after a few muddy rides.

Carbon 456 newer than the Ti version so surely impossible to compare the breakages of the two.

Personally I'd save up and go high end steel over either.

The c456 has been around for two years or more now, more than long enough for harder users to break a few and for the haters to say 'I told you so'.

Back