Coloured brake disc caliper bolts?

Raging_Bulls":2gl1aoy7 said:
@ bigmick : he's looking for the bolts that mount the caliper to the fork, not the rotor to the hub. On the caliper's end, there are different forces at play, and they're being applied to 2 bolts as opposed to the 6 on a conventional rotor.

I've been on the lookout for red caliper bolts too, but can't find anything I can rely on.
I tend to brake at the very limit most of the time, so if I were to use alloy bolts, within a few miles the front caliper would probably rip the bolts apart and shoot straight up.
yeah so surely the alloy bolts would be made to resist the working force

steel bolts fail under pressure too, if you have a seized steel bolt over tighten it and it will break off

Early hope bolts[the reccesed ones] are alloy.Ive used them for years without issue including some serious braking on a 185mm rotor.The type of braking that will end in tears and possible death if you dont stop.

Yes i know he means mounting bolts not rotor bolts but rotor bolts are way thinner and its cross section would be under considerable strain in braking

Personally i dont see a problem but If youre still unsure then go for titanium.Not as light as alloy but its a safe compromise :?

I wish people would make the distinction between Aluminium and alloy.

Just a wee gripe, aluminium is light but can be weak in certain uses. Some of the strongest metals are alloys. Like steel for example.

Tazio":1usa8znr said:

Just a wee gripe, aluminium is light but can be weak in certain uses. Some of the strongest metals are alloys. Like steel for example.

Thats avery good point, it seems to be a buzzword associated with aluminium. Guilty!

Tazio":151mesej said:

Ive some alloy in the house my Dad designed for a steam turbine.Those are under immense stresses in a red hot environment.

Bought some coloured disc rotor bolts from ebay a while back and they all rounded off a few months later when i tried to change the discs, they were very soft!

the alloy bolts for v-brake should be fine but personaly owld not use alloy for brake callipers - there are some aluminium alloys that are very strong but not that many that are as strong as Steel (....... waits to be corrected) - and you don't know what spec. alloy those on ebay are.

.... and whenever trying to save grammes or blinging out with less strong components, always consider what would happen should the component fail.

for that reason I am using Ti bolts for caliper and rotors and no probs yet. Ti bolts an be gotten in different cloours - e.g., purple, blue, gold and even green (if you know where to look!)

Back