garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
Hi folks,
I have an all-chrome Sun Worksop frame just like grumpycommuter's:

dscf5382_182.jpg

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/files/dscf5382_182.jpg

and want to fit a classic Raleigh Heron cottered crank to it, like this one:

%24(KGrHqRHJC4E-%2BqZ6wO!BP0488iSNw~~60_35.JPG

The problem is that the bottom bracket spindle that came with the frame is too short for this crank - it bottoms out on the fixed cup too far out to fit the cotter pin.

So, which spindle do I need, and does anyone have one? None of the three spindles I have will work. The BB shell seems to be a standard Raleigh 26tpi model at ~70mm width.

The supplied spindle is about 126mm and has the Raleigh stamp and '16 P' marked on it. As I said, the drive side is too short and the crank bottoms out to far to insert the cotter pin.

I have a longer Raleigh spindle at about 141mm but it must be for a far wider shell, since the bearing shoulders are further apart and on the non-drive side it sticks out too far to engage the adjustable cup. This one is marked 'RAL. PA' and ' Made in Eng'.

The third one seems to be just the right length at 135mm but the spindle is fractionally thicker than the others and so I can't mount the cranks! This one is marked "TDC C 5'

I'm sure I'll eventually find the right spindle, but I'm even more sure that engaging the great minds on here will make the job easier! Any of my current three spindles are available as a potential swap.

Cheers,
Gareth.

I,ve several new ones in the shed.138mm overal,54mm shoulder to shoulder,47 and 37 from shoulder to end either side,15mm dia at crank ends.Stamped A5.Pm if its any good.jm.

Coming back to this one again ...

I just found the following breakdown online:

ISO= 16mm Nominal or 15.9 Actual
English= 5/8" (15.88mm) Nominal or 15.75-15.80mm Actual
French= 16mm Nominal or 15.9 Actual
Italian= 16mm Nominal or 15.9mm Actual

Having checked with a caliper, I definitely need a 15.8mm diameter spindle - does anyone have one in their spares box, by any chance?

Please, please, pretty please??!

Cheers,
Gareth.

I've a NOS spindle that I was going to use on an old English sit up and beg for mater (bought her a new spangly thing with gears instead)
I'll check all the measurements when I get my hands on it later..fingers crossed :)

Hi Tony,
Did you ever have the opportunity to measure the spindle?

Cheers,
Gareth.

tonyf39":2xckxwuv said:
I've a NOS spindle that I was going to use on an old English sit up and beg for mater (bought her a new spangly thing with gears instead)
I'll check all the measurements when I get my hands on it later..fingers crossed :)

garethrl":1zyagh5r said:
Hi Tony,
Did you ever have the opportunity to measure the spindle?

Cheers,
Gareth.

tonyf39":1zyagh5r said:
I didn't until you reminded me just now :oops:
it's a 2C cottered axle 135/136mm total length with 36mm short side to the bearing lip and 46mm long side to the bearing lip centre section 53/54mm
I'm just off until Tuesday so PM me if that might be what you're looking for.
Price call it £6 posted

Hi Tony,
Can you tell me if the spindle you have is 15.8mm or 16mm diameter where the crank mounts? I need a 15.8mm one. The rest of the measurements look as though they're just the job though.

Cheers,
Gareth.

Latest posts

Back