199? Pinarello Sestriere

krankers

Senior Retro Guru
Mid nineties frameset was bought off the forum recently, and have built it up with DA7700 groupset and Ultegra wheels. Pleasantly lightweight and looking forward to putting some miles on it.

pin6.jpg

pin2.jpg

pin1.jpg

pin3.jpg

pin4.jpg

pin5.jpg

tiermat":ypg53fju said:
it looks like one of the snapping chainstay ones to me.

Blimey! Enlighten us lot more please about a failing Pinarello and don't frighten the OP about it neither :shock:

I own one of these:

http://velospace.org/node/25768

They are glorious bikes, and DON'T have a snapping chainstay problem. At 90kgs, I've been thundering about on mine for two years without the slightest problem.

In several clubs I know members use them as training bikes and noone has ever had a problem.

It's probably, in its own way, the best bike I've ever owned.

Ian Raleigh":35wbxkjr said:
tiermat":35wbxkjr said:
it looks like one of the snapping chainstay ones to me.

Blimey! Enlighten us lot more please about a failing Pinarello and don't frighten the OP about it neither :shock:

No scare intended, just to be aware.

I have been trying to find internet sources but no luck.

About 3 years ago I bought a similar Siestriere, same colour and everything, but built as a full bike.

The guy I purchased it from showed me the repair (at the chainstay/dropout junction) and mentioned it was a common fault with that model, of that year.

Apparently the join was too thin, in an attempt to lighten the frame, but they went too far and made a failure point.

I have read several owners reports on these frames and no mention of a cracking chainstay, only how nice they are to ride so I am not worried in the slightest.

Agree about the position of the shifters. I ride on the hoods and don't like too much stretch but am not keen on the look myself so am going to try and get some shorter reach bars.

Back