1989 Orange Formula - pic update

Got the BB out with the help of a sturdy vice holding the BB tool and a shimano QR securing the tool in place on the BB :D

A pile of rust also fell out :(

Kevin Winter's place on Monday :D

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 953
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 953
Looking good so far Adrian.

Glad to hear Kevin Winter has undertaken to do the repairs, his work has impressed me to be fair.

Have you had a response from Paul Donohue yet...?

It was pretty confirmed it was a Donohue from the offset for me.

just a thought, but maybe if the opportunity arises, you could ask Paul to shed some light on the other 2 british bikes in the thread below.....????????????

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

I suspect the Retro bike members who own them would appreciate a hand finding out a little more, and i for one am curious to know more of there timeline especially, in conjunction to the Formula that you have.

Keep it up mate, its coming along nicely.... :cool:

Nicely done sir!

Do I spy a long knuckle bar lurking in the background? Always a handy chap to have around when persuading a recalcitrant BB it's time to leave.

It will be fascinating to see what Kevin can do with the frame, watching with great interest.

NeilM":1t1wiv07 said:
Do I spy a long knuckle bar lurking in the background? Always a handy chap to have around when persuading a recalcitrant BB it's time to leave.

Yes my trusty 1/2" drive breaker bar, the reserve of stuck HG lock rings, freewheels and BB's - this one took the vice though enabling me to apply the maximum leverage I am happy to (the length of the frame from the axis of the stuck thing).

sinnerman":1t1wiv07 said:
Looking good so far Adrian.

Have you had a response from Paul Donohue yet...?

Keep it up mate, its coming along nicely.... :cool:

Thanks Carl. Not heard anything back from Paul - if I do I'll be sure to ask him about the other frames on here too.

Today I returned to Kevin Winter.

He kindly shot blasted back the seat tube to reveal some pin holes about 1/2" above the BB shell. Annoyingly it is solid all around these forcing me to make a decision......

So what do I do:

1. Replace seat tube. Probably Reynolds 751. The repair will retain all the original features although the seat pin will change from 26.8mm to 27.2mm due to thinner gauge tubing. Kevin is going to see if he can source a Prestige seat tube which will retain authenticity.

2. Braze fill the holes and take a chance it will probably be alright. Worst case new paint job and a repair in X miles time :?

Chosen plan of action is to return to Kevin's on Thursday with a videoprobe and view the bore of the seat tube to see how bad it is. By then he will know if the presitige seat tube is possible and we'll go from there.

RB collective thoughts/advice welcomed at this point........ ;)

I have also asked Kevin to spray it. I am very please that I did as he instantly informed me that the orange is actually a pearlescent fluorescent paint - on closer inspection it is - very nice too. He gave me the history of the various suppliers of the stuff (it comes from Italy) and is going to contact the rep to see if he can get some, if not then I have asked him to experiment and replicate it.

And so we progress!!

I have an internal battle between the mechanical engineer in me that says' rip out the rusty stuff and replace with new and the retrobike fan that says take a risk to retain originality - Thursday will tell......

Attachments

• DSC_0005a.jpg
    DSC_0005a.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 862
  • DSC_0006a.jpg
    DSC_0006a.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 862
  • DSC_0007a.jpg
    DSC_0007a.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 862
Adrian.

How hard do you really expect to use the bike and how often...?

And the question for me would be....(once i have been honest with myself on the above question,) could i justify the costs involved.

Then i would battle the authenticty dilemma, with my own conscience... :?

if you struggle with the neon let me know, from memory its about £50 a litre.

I would be guided by the frame builder, which is what I did regarding the hole in the top tube of my DB.

It really does depend on what's caused the hole in the first place. Major rot inside the seat tube, and really the decision is made for you.

Best option is to be able to replace with as close to the original as possible.

Fingers crossed that Kevin can get the tube.

If those holes are the only rot and the rest of the seat tube is sound, I'd patch it up rather than replace the whole tube.

Unusually, for me, I think authenticity is vital with this one.

the camera will help on that score.

But i have a very Special project, that is already over a YEAR :cry: with the frame builder.

trying to get the right tube, the right length, the right Butt length, is a RIGHT pain in the ass.

Add to this the builder is a mental perfectionist.............it all adds up to a bit of a drama.

but as with this, if its special to you, take the time spend the money do it right, what ever you feel is right.

Back