Yet another Roberts D.O.G.S... of a rebuild

If your Genesis is anything like my White Spider, you are in for a treat ;)

I'm going to have two projects on the go at the same time if I'm not careful, as I have just started work on a Bigfoot Smokestone. I'm not sure how quickly I can get that one finished, as I still have some decisions to make.

The DB is going to be the big one though, as I am planning on using quite a lot of new parts. In fact, as currently planned, there'll be more new than old, not that I think that makes any difference really, other than to the cost. :roll:

Yeah, I saw the thread on the Bigfoot. Nice project there if you can get the bottom bracket sorted out.

Like the Zinn I'm going to go back to original parts for the Genesis. I'm trying for full XT and Mavic headset. Should look sweet. Thinking I might get Roberts to do a matching stem but I just have to get off my backside and sort it out...

Your DB is going to look very cool when its done. New parts on that frame is going to be very exciting!

Re: DB

Wold Ranger":3ay91j29 said:
It's not just tipping the head tube back, like with using over long forks then, the steering will "flip-flop" something terrible and you'll end up losing most of your teeth or worse. (it will understeer on loose surfaces like a pig) Ask Jez or Jerky, they suffered just that.

This is true, I actually lost teeth (well lost one and cracked 2 others) on the first ride of my DB. To be fair though this wasn't due to any fork length issue (I was running RC30's) But I would echo that an RC35 would be a better option than the longer 36's.

Re: DB

JeRkY":cwswl8wd said:
I would echo that an RC35 would be a better option than the longer 36's.

I have both, with a really nice set of early RC35's put to one side, ready and waiting.

not a DOG's but you get the idea....

dsc00774to.jpg

NICE!

Shame about the purple ;)

How did you get the black bottle cage so clean? I have one the same for my DOGS, and I just don't seem to be able to get it looking clean, no matter what I scrub it with.

UPDATE.

I have just picked up a phone message that Brian left me on Saturday, telling me that they should be picking my frame up from the paint shop during the week.

That is almost exactly seven months, to the day, since I sent it. :shock:

So, I'd better get wheel building and parts gathering, as I'd like to try and get it ready for the Christmas Quantocks ride.

Good news Neil, its about time.... :?

I'm still waiting for the Genesis to be finished by colour-tech and that was start at the beginning of the May :oops:

Do you know how you are going to build it - once you get it?\

Giom6":q948iim9 said:
I'm still waiting for the Genesis to be finished by colour-tech and that was start at the beginning of the May :oops:

I get the feeling that's where the delay has been, as last time I spoke to Brian he said the top tube had been repaired some time prior.

Build up: Yup, mainly black. Hope hubs with XC717 rims, gear train will be SRAM X0 2 X 10, including twist shifters. Brakes I'm not too sure about yet, possibly Avid or Cane Creek. Bars, I have, USE atom carbon, seat post I have, USE Alien, bar ends I have, X-Lite stubbies, stem I have yet to find, USE if possible, failing that something UK made and black. Seat will be something like a Charge Spoon or Madison Flux, just because I find them really comfy.

Haven't decided on cranks yet, Middleburn would be favourite, but I may go for White Industries VBC. Pedals will be Time ATAC of some sort.

Headset is Chris King threadless, and should have been fitted by CR, forks will be Pace RC35's, although I also have some RC36's which are longer, but would give better suspension performance. I'll experiment at bit.

There are some little bits and pieces to get, but I'll get those together as the build progresses.

NeilM":3svi9vj0 said:
Giom6":3svi9vj0 said:

I get the feeling that's where the delay has been, as last time I spoke to Brian he said the top tube had been repaired some time prior.

Build up: Yup, mainly black. Hope hubs with XC717 rims, gear train will be SRAM X0 2 X 10, including twist shifters. Brakes I'm not too sure about yet, possibly Avid or Cane Creek. Bars, I have, USE atom carbon, seat post I have, USE Alien, bar ends I have, X-Lite stubbies, stem I have yet to find, USE if possible, failing that something UK made and black. Seat will be something like a Charge Spoon or Madison Flux, just because I find them really comfy.

Haven't decided on cranks yet, Middleburn would be favourite, but I may go for White Bros VBC. Pedals will be Time ATAC of some sort.

Headset is Chris King threadless, and should have been fitted by CR, forks will be Pace RC35's, although I also have some RC36's which are longer, but would give better suspension performance. I'll experiment at bit.

There are some little bits and pieces to get, but I'll get those together as the build progresses.

Sounds quality mate. I love the use of the all English approach. I know the RC36's are slightly longer but would probably fit better with the X-lite and USE components. RC35's would obviously work better.

I think Colour-tech must be exceptionally busy or just very lazy as I spoke to the guy over a month ago and he said it would be finished in a week and I haven't heard anything since! Very annoyed. I expect the finish will be brilliant I just wished they were a bit quicker.... :?

Back