Reynolds tubing weight comparisons

Well the object of my original question, a 57.5cm ctc 531p frame weighs in at 1980g and the forks at 690g. Was expecting lighter....

Weight.

shawnb":1fo63u50 said:
Well the object of my original question, a 57.5cm ctc 531p frame weighs in at 1980g and the forks at 690g. Was expecting lighter....

I have posted on this subject before...can't find the orignal thread.

However, size for size you would not tell the difference in weight between a 531P frameset and a 753R one.

Of course an accurate set of scales is a different matter!

Roadking.

Me again :LOL:

To put the cat amount the pigeons a bit, my new chrome 531pro super f&f's arrived today so out with the scales again :LOL:

Chrome plated 59cm (c2c) frame 1860grms.

photo92.jpg

Chrome forks 690grms

Painted 57cm (c2c) 2020grms (with one alloy campag bb cup fitted so nearer 2000grms)

photo91.jpg

Painted forks 700grms.

The chrome frame is seriously light you can feel the difference between the two. I know chrome is microscopically thin and even with the equally thin copper base layer thats alot of weight difference between the two, especially as the chrome frame is 2cm larger. Is paint really that heavy ? both SBDU frames are 531pro.......

Weight Conundrum.

shawnb":wax8uwzt said:
Me again :LOL:

To put the cat amount the pigeons a bit, my new chrome 531pro super f&f's arrived today so out with the scales again :LOL:

Chrome plated 59cm (c2c) frame 1860grms.

photo92.jpg

Chrome forks 690grms

Painted 57cm (c2c) 2020grms (with one alloy campag bb cup fitted so nearer 2000grms)

photo91.jpg

Painted forks 700grms.

The chrome frame is seriously light you can feel the difference between the two. I know chrome is microscopically thin and even with the equally thin copper base layer thats alot of weight difference between the two, especially as the chrome frame is 2cm larger. Is paint really that heavy ? both SBDU frames are 531pro.......

Interesting Shawn.

I weighed mine years ago, am tempted to weigh again...will have to strip down first...as bearings etc need a service.

Slightly puzzled by the difference in your two framesets - I have a thought though!

Rk.

'Tis very interesting !!
I have checked and double checked my chinese electronic scales and they are very accurate believe it or not ;)

Hi Shawn

Can you give me some details of the Orange/Sunburst frame pictured. It looks very similar to a bike I'm restoring at the moment

Thanks

Ian

IanM":2cyf0m5o said:
Hi Shawn

Can you give me some details of the Orange/Sunburst frame pictured. It looks very similar to a bike I'm restoring at the moment

Thanks

Ian

Sure, is yours a Raleigh sbdu frame and forks? Are you a member of the yahoo group? There's recent pics on there.
Shawn.

Back