Tim Gould's Team Peugeot Roberts White Spider

hello all,
i just registered so i can comment!!!!
what a tremendous thread!! to get that bike and to find out it's history down to a youtube video is superb. amazing. i read every comment and viewed every picture. it's wondrous. youtube vid buffering now...
the reason i found it is i am the proud owner of what i believe is a white spider with the chainstay "bends" you mention. i originally thought it may be a dogsblyx but after days of trawling realised it must be a white spider.
the only history i know is that i bought it off someone who bought it off someone! i know roberts frames are custom built so the person who bought it must be the same size as me. it was, and will be again, perfect.
when i first got it, 1995-ish, i marvelled at the perfect welds. it was a thing of beauty. on scrutinising the pictures on this thread, i realise the one i have must be a later version. for example, around the bottom bracket area, your pictures show the entire region to be welded and smoothed, where mine has a seperate bb piece, which the frame tubes enter. also, the front derailler was cabled very smartly from beneath and ran around a large bearing on the back of the seat tube to come from above. very smart indeed.
the wheels which have been stolen (sob) where mavic rims with bullseye hubs. they were BRILLIANT!!! other parts i remember, shimano fc-m730 crank, dia compe brake levers, xt 7's light action shifters, ritchie bar ends (clamp in, not clamp on, also stolen), merlin handlebar, and suntour pedals. exage 300 deraillers. if my bed was big enough, i would've slept with it. so god knows whtn you're doing to yours!!! loooll!!
what a great read this has been.
uncannily enough, i remember staying up late once to watch one of these races, and this seems to be the exact same one!! (youtube clip).
the white spider world is tiny!!
peace!!!!
and thank you all. the internet is brilliant!!!!
paul.

The tubing on forks could be tsx which is helical coiled inside.
roberts made alot of his frames in mix n match tubing for size/type of rider/riding. as did quite a few of the good builders.I'e wasnt unknown to have a mix of 531/6/753 with columbus tubing in those days as one types tube set was good on some parts but others where better for another tubealot also depended on size of frame made or type of ridding it was intended for.
Met chas a few times and he did make some great frames very inative builer.
one of my club mates was one of his builders so got to know fair bit.
Plus got to see/hear lots from when running eastway cycle circuit.

what you also get is that when they sell of frames/bikes etc they put together with what they have too hand as most works kit is never fully complete as get rebuilt etc reg.
even use things that arn't kosher. i'e say shimano badged up suntour etc
that goes on in most sports etc i'e f'ball boots is one instance.

Hi all,

Was just Googling my MTB hero, Tim Gould, and came across this thread.

Dr Bond, full respect to you for getting your hands on something so iconic!

I raced at the Forest of Dean round of the Mountain Bike Club 1989 National Championship Series in July of that year and got the opportunity to meet my hero after he'd won it. All I could muster was something like, "Well done, Tim!". Better than nothing I suppose.

Anyhow... please find attached a series of photos I took of Tim, Fred Salmon (I'm sure it's Fred) and David Baker on the day as, apart from photos the Team Peugeot guys, there are different pics of their bikes that I hope may help you with research into your bike's history.

It looks to me like Tim and David were using Campag whereas Fred was using Deore XT.

I've also included the Race results and the article from Mountain Biker.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0044.jpg
    Scan_Pic0044.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 2,297
  • Scan_Pic0045.jpg
    Scan_Pic0045.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2,296
  • Scan_Pic0036.jpg
    Scan_Pic0036.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 2,296
  • Scan_Pic0035.jpg
    Scan_Pic0035.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 2,296
  • Scan_Pic0040.jpg
    Scan_Pic0040.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2,296
  • Scan_Pic0034.jpg
    Scan_Pic0034.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 2,296
  • Scan_Pic0043.jpg
    Scan_Pic0043.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 2,299
the results...

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0046.jpg
    Scan_Pic0046.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 2,294
  • Scan_Pic0048.jpg
    Scan_Pic0048.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 2,292
  • Scan_Pic0047.jpg
    Scan_Pic0047.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 2,294
Whoa - what excellent stuff! The bike has now passed to another member on here - I know he'll be stoked to see these pics and info. The pics really capture some of the atmosphere - thanks for sharing.

I see I was 15th Novice in that race :LOL:

Another Gould pic from that race:

Attachments

• Tim Gould FOD.jpg
    Tim Gould FOD.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 2,067
Wow - what a corking picture! ...and congrats on the placing! :D

Somehow, I managed 5th in Juniors!

Do you remember how insanely hot it was?

Sadly, that was the one and only National I did, but was a great experience!

Yeah, I vaguely remember having to wear dark sunglasses which were lethal as there were a few fast descents that suddenly went into thick forest. Some minute great vision, the next.....complete darkness!

Wow, that's a good memory! I can't remember the course at all. I think the Expert Race had a false start - got a photo of some chaos on the start line.

To whomever is the current very lucky owner, if this bike ever comes up for sale again, I'd be seriously interested... :D

wow thanks for sharing those pics and results. I have the Gould Roberts safely stored at mine. its absolutely my fave bike. I have been storing spare components so it can live forever. it's nice that its seen some action so I don't feel bad when i ride it, that i may have devalued it.

I mean to make a site in homage to the man and bike, which is on my to do list. I would love to use some of those pictures.

Back